FranRed
Contributor
Contributor

VM Autoprotect and moving files

Hello:

A couple of questions:

1. I have autoprotect turned on in one of my VMs. I would like to take one of the snapshots and convert it to a stand alone VM. A person from VMware told me that in the Workstation product on the PC, one can "consolidate" a snapshot into a new VM. Does anyone know how to do this using Fusion on the Mac?

2. Is there a document that describes the files created by Fusion 2.0.1? If I want to just move a VM without all of the snapshots, which files should I move?

Thanks!

Fran

Fusion 2.0.1

MacBook Pro

OS X 10.5.8

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1. I have autoprotect turned on in one of my VMs. I would like to take one of the snapshots and convert it to a stand alone VM. A person from VMware told me that in the Workstation product on the PC, one can "consolidate" a snapshot into a new VM. Does anyone know how to do this using Fusion on the Mac?

I'm not familiar with Workstation's UI, so can't say what the exact equivalent would be. One way that would work is to suspend or shutdown the virtual machine, quit Fusion, and create a copy of the virtual machine in the Finder. This should generate a complete copy of the virtual machine, including all snapshots*, which you can then consolidate however you want without affecting the original.

• Assuming you have a default setup, i.e. don't have disk references outside the bundle

2. Is there a document that describes the files created by Fusion 2.0.1? If I want to just move a VM without all of the snapshots, which files should I move?

has a description of files, but unless you know what you're doing, trying to pick and choose files in a .vmwarevm bundle is probably a bad idea.

0 Kudos