VMware Communities
cjtinkle
Contributor
Contributor

V3 license confusion

I have a boxed version of Fusion (V1) that I've upgraded (free) to 2.06. It is registered, but when I try to upgrade, it says I have no available products.

But my actual confusion stems from the option to upgrade for $39.... or $99 for a year's worth of free upgrades... OR, I can buy V3 new for $79. ???? If you purchase it new, do you not get any free upgrades?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mirlas
Contributor
Contributor

When I look at the store, I see the option to buy the upgrade for $39, or get the upgrade with 12 months subscription for $99. When I look at the store for the full, non-upgrade version, I see that I can buy the full version for $79, or get the full version with 12 months subscription for $99. It appears that there is no discount for an upgrade with a 12 month subscription.

cjtinkle
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I see that now. So unlike V1.x purchases, where all upgrades, even to the full version of V2 were free, we'll now have to pay for them at say, $39 per? What's the chance of there being 2 or more full upgrades (V4, 5 &6) in the next year, to possibly make $99 worthwhile?

0 Kudos
lugesm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

?

0 Kudos
cjtinkle
Contributor
Contributor

No, I don't think that's correct, I don't see licenses for 3 machines written on that anywhere, can you point me to where you read that?

0 Kudos
objectcentral
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can't find any more info on the subscription deal. I suspect the thing most of us are worried about is "Will I be able to download version 3.01 when it is released in a couple of weeks? (or the latest bug patch)"

I don't know for sure. It seems scary to pay for an upgrade and be stuck with 3.0.

BUT, I did find an article that said "If you have a 2.0 subscription, you can download 3.0 for free." I hope that means that is all you get for your subscription, and the policy of free upgrades to new minor revisions will remain.

I decided to take that chance and got the $39 upgrade. Doesn't seem likely that 4.0 will be out within a year, and even then, with another < $60 upgrade, would still total less than $99.

Too bad VMWare doesn't really tell you anywhere obviouis what a $99 subscription really buys you.

0 Kudos
lugesm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're right. My mistake.

0 Kudos