VMware Communities
DJP55
Contributor
Contributor

Using two of three monitors for the VM

Hey y'all,

I've got a MBP and I'm running another two monitors along with the built in display.  I know how to make it use all three monitors for multiple display, but I'm wondering if there is a way to make two of the monitors be for the VM, and leave one for my mac.  I tried just disabling the third display in the Windows 7 settings, but that just ends up mirroring it. 

Any help is appreciated,

-DJ

Tags (2)
10 Replies
KumarLande
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi..

Well you could try to move the virtual machine to the 2nd monitor and then put the virtual machine in full screen, have on the 3rd monitor to the extended of the 2nd one.

Cheers...

0 Kudos
DJP55
Contributor
Contributor

When I do that, it doesn't change anything.  It will still only be displaying on one.  It seems like my options are one or three, can't figure out two.  Still looking for other ideas tho.

Thanks,

-DJ

0 Kudos
KumarLande
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you move the virtual machine to the 2nd monitor and put in full screen what happens.

Go the display option in the Windows and see how many monitors are detected. Also check if you have installed VMware tools and its services are running and use all display in full screen is selected.

Cheers..

0 Kudos
DJP55
Contributor
Contributor

If I have it set to use all monitors, it will take over all three.  If I don't, it'll just use that one.  If I check the properties, it sees all 3.  I have VMware tools installed and the services are running. 

0 Kudos
zappee
Contributor
Contributor

No solution to this in Fusion 7 either?

0 Kudos
zappee
Contributor
Contributor

bump.

0 Kudos
zappee
Contributor
Contributor

I've now updated to version 8 and I still don't see this option, why?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Being able to specify certain displays (and not others) to use in full screen mode is not something Fusion can do today unfortunately.

It's something we're looking into however.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
shelder
Contributor
Contributor

Still working on it?  It would be a big feature for us.

martinoforcas
Contributor
Contributor

I would really like the option to run a VM on 2 out of three monitors. I am a computer engineer and some tools I use are Linux based and a handful mac based I would really like to be able to run a VM on 2 of three monitors. Does anybody have a work around?

Thanks Martin