VMware Communities
IgMa
Contributor
Contributor

Using internet and printing at the same time?

I've been reading many of the topics posted on this site, but so far I cannot seem to find a solution for my problem.

I do not have the issue of being disconnected from the airport. I have a Core Duo MBP and I use 802.11g

When I go into my XP VM I get internet working perfectly when I use NAT, but I cannot print wirelessly. Although, when I use bridged connection I can print wirelessly, but I cannot access the internet. I have 2 printers which are windows only printers. They do not support Mac OS X. So my question is, is there any way for me to be able to print and use the internet at the same time without having to change the network settings? Could it be just some configurations in the wireless router that I connect to?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does your wireless router provide DHCP or did you have to statically assign the address on your laptop?

When you switched from NAT to Bridged did you restart the VM (or force the DHCP in the guest to renew)? If not your Windows Virtual Machine may have still been trying to communicate using the IP it received in NAT Mode.

0 Kudos
IgMa
Contributor
Contributor

My router provides DHCP. When I switch from NAT to Bridged I always restart the VM.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When you are in bridged mode does the IP received by the Virtual Machine appear to be in the same network as the IP on your Mac?

Can you try to ping your router when in Bridged mode?

0 Kudos
IgMa
Contributor
Contributor

When I did the "ipconfig /all" in the bridged mode everything seemed to be the same as on my mac, except the last 3 digits in my ip address were different. When I try to ping my router it says request timed out. So it seems as if I am on a different network.

0 Kudos
IgMa
Contributor
Contributor

From all this, it seems like it is just some setting in the router, but I think I've tried everything and I still can't get it to work. Am I doing something wrong or is it VMware Fusion 1.0 that doesn't support it?

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It should be a setting on the router unless there is something going on with your Host OS which is causing the problem.

You are getting an IP address from the router via DHCP. The fact that can't ping it makes me wonder. Do you have a firewall installed on the Host machine? If so, try disabling the firewall.

You said you can print when you are operating via bridged mode. Are you able to ping the printer? (or are you printing via a protocol other than tcp?)

0 Kudos
IgMa
Contributor
Contributor

I'll check again with the router, I might have missed something. Everything seems to be working properly, so it must be the router. I'll report back after I check with the router, but only if something still doesn't work. Thanks for all the help, or I guess just for pointing out the problem.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also out of curiosity, what kind of router are you running?

0 Kudos
IgMa
Contributor
Contributor

I am using SMC router. Here is the model number: SMCWBR14-GM

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you don't see anything on the router, can you go ahead and post your .vmx file?

You can find this in ~/Documents/Virtual Machines/. You will need to right-click on the VM and select "Show Package Contents" to browse the files.

0 Kudos