VMware Communities
verminsky
Contributor
Contributor

Using extended desktop with 2 monitors with VMware Fusion

I just installed a trial of FUsion, and it seems that I can't get Windows XP Home SP2 extended Desktop to work with a 2nd monitor on an iMac 24" Aluminum 2.8 Ghz.

I can get everything working fine on either the iMac or my external monitor, but there doesn't seem to be the capability to use both monitors as an extended desktop for a windows program.

Can anyone either tell me how to do it, or confirm thagt it is not possible? Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TROwnerAndDevel
Contributor
Contributor

It is my understanding that Fusion does not support dual monitors at this time. I am new to Fusion as well.

Hopefully someday that will happen, but, of course, VMWare can't publicly comment on that. Let's just say that I bet enough people have mentioned that "limitation" and they have heard it :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
verminsky
Contributor
Contributor

Well thanks for that, but I wish someone could be a little more forthcoming with either a definitive yes or no as to IF it is NOW possible, or, perhaps someone from VM Ware might come on the bbs and (please, my fingers and toes are crossed) let me know THAT this feature is forthcoming and maybe even WHEN!!

0 Kudos
TROwnerAndDevel
Contributor
Contributor

After having used Fusion now for a couple of days, you cannot have dual monitor support with Fusion. Period.

The VMWare team is not going to come on to the forum and announce non-public features. That is just not going to happen, period. Just know that many people (and I mean many) have asked for this feature.

Here, I am requesting the feature as well -- maybe that will push it over the top.

0 Kudos
verminsky
Contributor
Contributor

Well, fwiw, Parallels doesn't either. But thanks for getting back to me, and I guess we'll just have to practive patience....something I'm not very good at!

0 Kudos
Neil_Erskine
Contributor
Contributor

Although extended desktop support would be nice, I would find Unity support for programs on both monitors even more useful. I would have thought that easier to accomplish, but Unity really screws up on a dual monitor setup; all windows start on the same display, and trying to pull one to another display does not work, and scrambles the windows contents.

0 Kudos