pbuhler
Contributor
Contributor

Using an evdo modem with fusion

I just got my macbook and fusion yesterday. I access the internet with a sprint modem. I can't get fusion to see it on the windows side. I should be able to plug it in and the software downloads automatically. This isn't happening. If I'm connected to the internet on the Mac side how does that effect downloads to windows as far as programs, updates, mp3's etc.?

TIA

pbuhler

0 Kudos
5 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

If all you need is basic internet access in the Windows virtual machine, then change your virtual machine network to NAT. This will use whatever internet connection OSX has. No need to install any modem drivers in Windows. Take a look at .

A device can only be controlled by one OS at a time. So it's either controlled by OSX or by Windows. When you do connect a USB device to the virtual machine, then it's disconnected from the Mac. If you must have Windows controlling the modem (i.e.: VPN software doesn't work through NAT) then you connect the modem (or whatever USB device) in the USB settings menu of Fusion (or from the icons on the bottom of the virtual machine window.)

Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It works. I have a Sprint ExpressCard EX720 that replaced a U720 USB version I used for two years.

OS X has built-in drivers for the modem but you'll get a better experience with Sprint SmartView. That's the only software you'll want to install in Mac OS X. Set Fusion networking for Windows to NAT mode.

Technically you can have Windows use the modem instead of OS X but that would be for a special networking requirement. Windows works fine accessing it through OS X just as it would if you were plugged into a physical network or using Mac Wi-Fi.

Has your card been activated? I think SmartView for Mac OS X will do this but it wasn't that long ago that the cards had to be activated through Windows. The built-in OS X drivers DO NOT allow activation of the card.

pbuhler
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to both of you. I think I had tried it with NAT, not sure. It finally worked. It was supposed to be plugged in and then it would download the sprintview software. I was on the windows side, told it to use the device and it popped up to download the software. I think part of it was that it had to get through recognizing it as a usb drive and drive and then it got to the modem. Once it downloaded the program it works fine. I can connect from either platform.

-Patti

0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad you got it working. I wonder if the automatic software download thing is new to Windows? I downloaded and installed manually for both Windows and Mac OS.

0 Kudos
pbuhler
Contributor
Contributor

Sprint built it into the sierra wireless modem. It has a flash drive

in it and when you plug it into a computer it checks to see if you

have the software installed and if not installs it - either Mac or

Windows. It no longer has to be activated on a Windows pc first.

However, it doesn't play nice with airport. I have to turn airport

off to get it to work.

-Patti

0 Kudos