VMware Communities
AndersG
Contributor
Contributor

Using a separate exfat disk from both OSX and Windows 8 in Fusion?

Laptop, a MacBook 13.3 retina, running Fusion 6.0.2 on OSX 10.9 has three partitions:

disk0s2 - hfs

disk0s4 - ntfs bootcamp

disk0s5 - exfat

The bootcamp partition has been made available from Fusion, following the VMWare docs.

Problem is that if I start the Win installation on bootcamp, both s4

and s5 are instantly dismounted from OSX. Is there any way to stop this from happening, at least fro the exfat one so that I can share it between OSX and Windows?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at the bootcamp-vmdk - that file stores the info which partitions will be visible to the bootcamp VM

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Are you trying to get it to be visible from both at the same time, or so that it can be dismounted/remounted?  The latter is possible, the former isn't.

BTW - exFAT is highly susceptible to corruption as it has only a single FAT table.  Make sure you keep good backups.

AndersG
Contributor
Contributor

Well, basically, the goal is to have a machine that will be working in Windows 70% of the time and 30% of the time share storage. I guess another option would be to have a separate partition and when in OSX mount that and set it up as a shared folder for the WinVM. When booting Windows, mount it as a separate disk. Dunno of that is even doable?

The user claims he loses too much functionality when running Win under fusion for it to be viable full time. Hence he wants to be  able to boot Windows natively.

0 Kudos