VMware Communities
Scourgebane
Contributor
Contributor

Using a Bootcamp install on an external ssd as a VM

I created a boot camp install of windows 10 pro on an external SSD using the tutorials found online and was wondering if it is possible to use that as a virtual machine.  I want to run Windows in Mac OS for light duty and boot directly into windows from the boot menu when I need the extra horse power so creating a boot camp virtual machine is preferable to creating a copy of it.  When I try to create boot camp virtual machine is says "Boot Camp value preprocessing failed.  You may not be able to boot your Boot Camp volume as a virtual machine."  When I try to launch the virtual machine anyway it says "Operation not permitted" cannot open the disk Boot Camp.vmdk or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.  Module 'Disk' power on failed.  Failed to start the virtual machine."  Is there a way around this or is it just not possible to create a boot camp virtual machine on an external drive.

2 Replies
Benknobi
Contributor
Contributor

I’m having the same problem, was there ever any resolution to this? 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you describe the steps that you’ve used to attempt the installation?

Also can you post details about your environment? Fusion version, macOS version, Mac hardware, external SSD details (vendor and connectivity- USB or Thunderbolt). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos