VMware Communities
vm_cantata
Contributor
Contributor

Using Workstation on a Mac with Fusion

Hi, I've seen Workstation used on a Windows PC to create and use Windows VMs.

I use a Mac for choice and I've heard I can use Fusion to store and use PC files on a Mac.

If I install Fusion on my Mac will I be able to install a Windows version of Workstation and then store and use Windows 7 VMs created on a Windows PC without any problems? I had been considering installing a Mac PC emulator such as Parallels but have not liked this program much in the past. Will I have to create a virtual Windows  hard disk on my Mac drive and if so can I do this in Fusion or would I have to repartition the drive? Or can I somehow install and save PC files anywhere I want them with Fusion running?

I've also had problems in the past attaching Windows memory sticks and Windows external drives to my Mac and then moving files from the Windows storage media onto my Mac. Will Fusion make all these problems disappear? Thanks if you can help. I'm always nervous if I have to stray into Bill Gates territory.

Tags (3)
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

VMware Fusion is the macos version of VMware Workstation.

As a result once you install VMware Fusion, you can run virtual machines made with VMware Workstation.

So there is no need to install VMware Workstation within your VMware Fusion Windows virtual machine.

When you setup a Windows virtual machine within VMware Fusion it does indeed create a virtual harddisk for your Windows virtual machine. This partitioning is all within VMware Fusion and does not affect your host partitions. Although you could setup a boot camp partition and import that within Fusion, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are after.

With your WIndows virtual machine you can then access windows type of files and applications. Those are normally within the virtual machine. You can however pass USB disks to the virtual machine as well as share folders from your Mac with the virtual machine so that they show up within the VM.

Hope this answers your questions for a bit, if not then just ask.

-

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
vm_cantata
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for that explanation, wila, that covers most of my concerns. I don't think my current iMac is going to be powerful enough to run Fusion properly but I can try downloading a test version to make sure it does everything I need. It sounds as though it will and it's about time I upgraded my old iMac anyway. It has to be cheaper than buying a separate fast Windows host that I probably won't want to use for anything other than running VMs.

A quick supplementary - if I just use Fusion to launch VMs already created on a Windows host using Workstation 14, can I get away without installing a version of Windows on my Mac within the Fusion hard disk space or will I need the Windows OS anyway to copy files to and from  a Windows memory stick or external hard disk?

Many thanks.

Steve

0 Kudos
vm_cantata
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila

Just logged on to trial Fusion and wasn't sure whether I needed to get Fusion 10 or Fusion 10 Pro. I've downloaded Fusion 10 Pro but I suspect it will be more than I need given I think I am only going to need to host (and possibly create) Windows VMs. I wouldn't mind trying to create and use Unix VMs as well but it would be only out of interest and not essential. Would I be better off (ie would the Windows VMs work faster) if I settled for simple Fusion 10 instead?

Steve

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

When you mention that your Mac is sort of old, I immediately worry if it is new enough for running Fusion 10 as the latest Fusion version has a more strict version as the previous version.

The previous version was Fusion 8.5, yep the marketing department decided it was a good idea to skip a version number, eg. 8.5 = 9, let me know if you understand that reasoning as I sure do not. Anyways.. digressing.

Fusion 10 system requirements are: System Requirements for Fusion

In other words.. your mac should be from 2010 or newer for running Fusion 10 and your host OS should be 10.11 or newer. The exact details are in the link.

You do still need a Windows license -and possibly install media- in order to run Windows.

From the sounds of it you would be fine to use the non pro version.

FWIW, both Fusion Pro as well as Fusion non Pro are the same installer, the difference is in the license that you buy.

The differences are listed here:

Run Windows on Mac | Virtual Machine for Mac | VMware Fusion

In short, you'll get more features on configuring networking, linked clones and a better integration with VMware's datacenter products.

You can still run linux/unix VMs on the non pro version.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva