VMware Communities
bsag
Contributor
Contributor

Using VM images created in Windows on Mac using FM Fusion

I use VM player on my windows desktop (XP SP2) and have several images that were created using VMware workstation (5 or 6, not sure which). The size of the files vary from ~2.5GB (for XP images) up to ~7GB for (Vista images). Is there a way I can reuse this on my macbook pro if I am using VM Fusion? I read something about modifying VMX files, but the steps were not listed and it wasn't even clear if it could be done.

Alternatively, is there a way I can create a Vista/XP image from my old laptops (yes I have several:) ) and use it in VM Fusion on mac? I know it would be much easier to use a true windows CD, but these just came with recovery disks and not the full CD.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I use VM player on my windows desktop (XP SP2) and have several images that were created using VMware workstation (5 or 6, not sure which). The size of the files vary from ~2.5GB (for XP images) up to ~7GB for (Vista images). Is there a way I can reuse this on my macbook pro if I am using VM Fusion? I read something about modifying VMX files, but the steps were not listed and it wasn't even clear if it could be done.

Yes. : Sharing a Virtual Machine Between Platforms. The virtual machine format is the same between Fusion and Workstation 6 (WS5 will work but be missing newer features like USB 2; you can upgrade the virtual hardware to get these features if you don't intend to move the image back). Editing the .vmx file is necessary only if you have host-specific paths.

Alternatively, is there a way I can create a Vista/XP image from my old laptops (yes I have several:) ) and use it in VM Fusion on mac? I know it would be much easier to use a true windows CD, but these just came with recovery disks and not the full CD.

You could try Converter, but if your laptops came only with a recovery disks, they probably have OEM licenses, which are not transferable.

0 Kudos