VMware Communities
hassiman
Contributor
Contributor

Using VM Fusion... Some observations and questions comparison to Parallels 3.0 .. and where is the manual?

I just converted my Parallels 3.0 Win XP VM into Fusion using the conversion utility.. There are a few things I have noticed:

1. The 20 GB Parallels VM took up 5GB drive space with its .HDD file in Parallels, The same VM takes up over 22GB of drive space in Fusion.

2. Fusion seems to take a bit longer to start up and shut down than Parallels 3.0

Where is the full .pdf manual for Fusion?

This seems to be less well-developed in some ways than Parallels 3.0. How often do you think the Fusion program be enhanced and improved?

The version of the VM that was imported from Parallels 3.0 had Parallels Kapersky Internet security installed in Win XP and now my Fusion Win XP does too. Will that be a problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1) It sounds like you're using either full disk images and not growable ones or you have snapshots involved.

2) I believe that is right - Parallels is faster on disk speed.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Where is the full .pdf manual for Fusion?

VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > Online Documentation

Also, although not a .pdf,... VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help

0 Kudos
hassiman
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Aussie,

Is it bad to be usuing a full disk image VS a growable one other that space used... and is there a way to convert without having to re-generate the the Fusion VM again?

No sbapshots were made. If I make a snapshot will it take up another 22+ GB od disk space?

Fare Dinkum

0 Kudos
CSI95
Contributor
Contributor

I have to say, that "Online Documentation" is pretty sparse. I don't recall Parallels having volumonous documentation, but it was more than what VMWare provides.

The other thing that Parallels does that I'd like to see in Fusion is that it mounts the entire Windows file system right into Finder. Once I've got a Parallels session going I can navigate the entire VM's file system right from the Finder. That's a great feature.

0 Kudos
hassiman
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Woody,

I am not sure if having the entire file system available to me is a deal-breaker or not. I am only using Fusion to print via Qimage. The rest of my work is done on the Mac side. I am more concerned with being abkle to keep the Windows instalation securly segragated from the Mac OS.. this it seems Fusion may do better... if only unintentionally

0 Kudos