VMware Communities
Joe_Cocker
Contributor
Contributor

Using USB External Microphone with Fusion

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this issue because it is rather frustrating.

When using the microphone with a Macbook Pro, everything works great. The Logitech microphone shows up in system preferences, and the sound registers with the test. However as soon as I start up the virtual machine, the microphone disappears from system preferences and it doesn't register in test anymore.

I'm trying to use 'Dragon Dictate NaturallySpeaking.' I know it's possible because other people around here are doing it, I just want to know what preferences or settings need to be changed so that I can get this running.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

Are you using USB microphone? If Yes,

1) Power Off/Shutdown Virtual Machine

2) Go to Virtual Machine Settings and select USB

3) Uncheck "Automatically Connect USB device"

power on the Virtual Machine and check if it is working properly

powervm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Refer the KB Article # 1003811

In your scenario USB device is Microphone

Joe_Cocker
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response. My issue still stands however because the solutions above only allowed me to use the microphone in the Host system; I need the microphone in the Guest system.

When I attempt to connect the microphone in Dragon Naturallyspeaking, a VMware Fusion warning pops up that reads, "Sound Will Not Be Available."

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It sounds like the USB microphone is connected to the guest (since it disappears from the host). Have you actually tried the microphone in the guest?

a VMware Fusion warning pops up that reads, "Sound Will Not Be Available."

What's the full text of the message? Is this some combination headset that also has a headphone?

0 Kudos
Joe_Cocker
Contributor
Contributor

The whole problem is trying to use it in the guest... that's what I'm trying to do.

That is the full text of the message, no description or anything, just "Sound will not be available." this leads me to think that it's a VMware issue and not a DNS issue.

0 Kudos
Joe_Cocker
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible that this error suggests that no sound is available throughout the entire system? Not only within DNS.

Im considering deleting and re-adding the sound device from the settings. \

I understand that attempting to use the microphone in both host and guest will create a conflict. Is it possible that once I select the microphone in OS X system preferences it creates a situation where all sound in the virtual machine is creating conflict?

0 Kudos
ericthompson
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't see a reply with a successful result, so thought I would report that I have this working with an external USB Mic (Logitech AK5370). I set the Mac (host) System Prefs to use"Built-in" for the mic, and then set the guest (XP) to connect AK5370. It identified the new USB device in the XP system tray and then automatically made it the primary mic. I then tested it out and I could record from the USB mic and play back through the Mac speakers ("Sound Card Connected" in Fusion).

Note: This is under Fusion 2.0.1.

fwiw,

Eric

0 Kudos
DrDaveNW
Contributor
Contributor

I have a 24" iMac running Dragon 10 under Fusion 2.01 with a USB Revolabs xTag wireless microphone. Unfortunately, it randomly stops recognizing the microphone and to fix it I have to "disconnect" the microphone from the Fusion bar, go back into Mac OSX system prefernces, select Revolabs xTag, go back into Fusion and "reconnect" the microphone. Doing this causes Revolabs to disappear from the OSX system preferences as you have stated. It works for a while and does it all over again. I'm hoping I'm the one doing something wrong, because this seems like a pretty unstable system.

0 Kudos