VMware Communities
Olturot
Contributor
Contributor

Using Mac Applications from Windows

In Parallels, there is an ability to use MAC appliocations, from Windows. For instance, I have an attached pdf file that has come in on outlook and I would like to use the MAC preview application to view it. Is there a way to do that. The ability to use MAC application would allow me to remove a lot of windows programs and save HD space. Is there a way to do that like Parallels does?

Chuck

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion does not support cross-platform file associations at this time.

0 Kudos
Olturot
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Do you know if there is future plans to incorporate that?

Chuck

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortunately, VMware policy is to not comment on unannounced features, products, timelines, etc. The developers are aware that people would like this functionality.

0 Kudos
scottishwildcat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

However, you can just (for example) open Preview.app first, then drag the PDF file from Outlook onto the Preview icon in the dock. (I assume--- I don't use Outlook, but it works fine with other apps I've just tried.)

0 Kudos
Olturot
Contributor
Contributor

That was an idea I never thought about. However it didn't work. But for some other applications I can remember that. At this point in order to save disk space I don't want to install Adobe reader but just use the available Preview. So at this point I was just saving the pdf file from the email attachment to the shared folder and then go to the mac side and open it from there. It is just a bunch of extra steps. So I hope that that options comes out eventually.

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
Yaztromo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That was an idea I never thought about. However it didn't work. But for some other applications I can remember that. At this point in order to save disk space I don't want to install Adobe reader but just use the available Preview. So at this point I was just saving the pdf file from the email attachment to the shared folder and then go to the mac side and open it from there. It is just a bunch of extra steps. So I hope that that options comes out eventually.

Here's one way you can speed-up your work-around: create a special shared folder for items you want to open in Mac OS X, and setup a folder action that opens them when they're added to the folder.

In this way, when you save something to the special shared folder, Mac OS X will automatically open whatever you just dropped in there, with no intervention from yourself.

This may not be 100% optimal for what you need, but it should provide a nice way to at least minimize the issue you've encountered.

Yaz.

0 Kudos