VMware Communities
SamDG
Contributor
Contributor

Using Horizontal Scroll on Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse in Vista

Hey all -

I'm using Vista Home Premium on Fusion 2.0.4 running from an image file, not boot camp. I've noticed that horizontal scroll doesn't work for me with the Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse, but vertical scroll does. I've asked vm ware support about it, and this was their reply:

"I would like to provide you couple of information regarding this issue.

There are certain devices which are designed to work with specific operating system / software application.

The apple mighty mouse horizontal scroll is one of the specific function which will work only in Mac os x.

There are couple of other devices like Apple USb modem which will work only in Mac os X and it is designed only for Mac.

I suggest you to consult with apple technical support for further information on the functionality of Apple mighty mouse."

The issue is that when I look in Windows, I can see that it's using the VMware Pointing Device. Is there another driver I could use that works better? Anything else that has worked for anyone to get the horizontal scroll function to work?

Thanks,

Sam

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fplanque
Contributor
Contributor

Why is that previous thread on the subject locked ?

etung said:

This is already being tracked as PR 298711. I don't think horizontal
scrolling is a standard mouse feature (which would make it harder to
implement), and I don't think many mice (other than Apple's) have
horizontal scrolling capabilities, which will make it harder to
convince management that it's useful.

What is PR 298711? Where can we see that?

There are other mice with horizontal scrolling and even if there was only Apple's mouse, it ships with every mac. So when you buy VMware Fusion for the mac, you kind of expect that the default mouse is fully supported.

Horizontal scrolling is supported in Windows too. All you need to do is present a virtual mouse which has horizontal scrolling.

Please!!!!

-Francois (Apple mighty mouse enthousiast since 2005 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
smartj
Contributor
Contributor

I also vote for an implementation of horizontal scrolling.

Apparently Parallels has this, so it is not impossible.

I have a Microsoft mouse at work that also has horizontal scrolling so it is not only Apple's mouse.

Holding down the SHIFT key whilst scrolling vertically may give you horizontal scroll in some apps (eg. Google Chrome or Safari in Windows guest VM).

0 Kudos