VMware Communities
Danny_Novo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using Fusion at a University: OEM issues?

Hi. I'm looking to buy and use some sort of Windows emulation. I work at a large University (KU, fwiw) and have been asked by my boss how this software (e.g. Fusion, Parallels) handles the University's OEM Windows installation.

To be clear, the OEM issues are different than the typical ones mentioned in the forum. At least I think so. We're not talking about a version of Windows that came with a specific PC, that I'm trying to re-use. Instead, this is a version of WIndows licensed in enormous batches to the University (Universities across the country do the same thing), and installed on each and every PC in use here.

Does anyone have experience using Fusion in a University setting ,with the standard University OEM install?

Was it successful? Do you have any tips?

Thanks.

Danny.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Woody, that sounds right (they do call it "OEM" here, but they may be shorthanding or something).

I'm certainly not going to say absolutely it's not an OEM version since I don't have it in my hand however it has been my experience that Educational Institutions have Academic versions and again not the same as OEM and the previously mentioned Volume License versions. Not that it absolutely matter but does it actually say OEM on the on the Disc or case?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I doubt that what you have is an OEM version. You most likely have Volume License Keys which are not the same as OEM as the University is not an Original Equipment Manufacture although they are a Volume License User.

You should have no problem however you can download VMware Fusion and register for a Free 30-Day Trial License to make sure everything is okay before buying.

http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/

Danny_Novo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody, that sounds right (they do call it "OEM" here, but they may be shorthanding or something).

I plan to try the 30-day trial, but I have one question. After 30 days, can I activate Fusion without having to re-install my VM? That is, if I get the copy of Windows activated, and I decide to buy Fusion, can I license Fusion without having to do anything to my virtual machine?

Thanks,

Danny.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I plan to try the 30-day trial, but I have one question. After 30 days, can I activate Fusion without having to re-install my VM? That is, if I get the copy of Windows activated, and I decide to buy Fusion, can I license Fusion without having to do anything to my virtual machine?

Yes. The only difference between the trial and the full version is the license key, and the only difference in effect is that the full version doesn't expire.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm certainly not going to say absolutely it's not an OEM version since I don't have it in my hand however it has been my experience that Educational Institutions have Academic versions and again not the same as OEM and the previously mentioned Volume License versions. Not that it absolutely matter but does it actually say OEM on the on the Disc or case?

0 Kudos
Danny_Novo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody, turns out it was a real OEM disk (from Dell) that my boss had from the mountain of PCs they have ordered. It was opened, but I used the disk to install, and it activated just fine. Not sure if it had just never been used, or what.

Regardless, I am up and running, and it is working very nicely.

Thanks for all the help.

Danny.

0 Kudos