VMware Communities
abarretoreds
Contributor
Contributor

Using Cain & Abel on VMWare Fusion 6

Good afternoon,

I'm using VMWare Fusion 6 as a virtual machine to run Windows 7 parallel with Mac OS-X in my Macbook Pro, with a licensed copy of Windows 7. In the Windows-running virtual machine, I'm using a network analysis tool called Cain & Abel (I'm the owner of a small school, and in my previous Windows computer I used Cain & Abel to monitor my students' network activity; for further information visit www.oxid.it/cain.html‎). However, when I sniff the network and search for the computers connected to it (I've already configured Cain to work with my WiFi network adapter, running it in administrator mode), I cannot see any computer in the network (other than "VmWare corporation"); I'm not able to see the usual "Microsoft Corporation" and "Apple Inc." computers connected to the same network.

Whenever I bring a Windows computer to my school, I'm able to sniff the whole network using Cain and I can see my students' IP connected to the school's LAN. This problem is related to VMWare Fusion configuration on my Mac. Can somebody help me out?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi abarretoreds,

Welcome to the community.Smiley Happy

Which network type is your Windows 7 set, NAT or Bridged? Please set it to Bridged if it's in NAT.

It's easy to do that.

One way is to click the network icon on your VM toolbar, and select Bridge, wait for your VM network adapter to get IP from your DHCP server. If you use static IP for your network, please configure an IP for your VM.

The other way is : Open VM settings window and click network adapter button, then select Autodetect.

Hope this will help.

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

abarretoreds wrote:

However, when I sniff the network and search for the computers connected to it (I've already configured Cain to work with my WiFi network adapter, running it in administrator mode), I cannot see any computer in the network (other than "VmWare corporation"); I'm not able to see the usual "Microsoft Corporation" and "Apple Inc." computers connected to the same network.

Could you see other computers if you use Ethernet?

0 Kudos