VMware Communities
SwissMac
Contributor
Contributor

Using Boot Camp

Is it possible for Fusion to use the Boot Camp installation of Windows XP Pro?

If it is, does this change or disable any of the normal functionality of Fusion, such as snapshots, Unity etc?

If I already have Parallels installed using Boot Camp, will any use of Fusion/Boot Camp "break" the Parallels installation?

TIA

Mac

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is it possible for Fusion to use the Boot Camp

installation of Windows XP Pro?

Yes

If it is, does this change or disable any of the

normal functionality of Fusion, such as snapshots,

Unity etc?

Snapshot and suspend are disabled to prevent you from accidentally messing up the Boot Camp partition.

If I already have Parallels installed using Boot

Camp, will any use of Fusion/Boot Camp "break" the

Parallels installation?

I've heard problems with Fusion and Parallels not playing well together in terms of Windows activation, but I'm not sure how widespread the problem is.

0 Kudos
SwissMac
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your quick response. Can you please expand on "problems with Windows Activation" please? I am not sure what you mean exactly...

Thanks,

Mac

0 Kudos
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you for your quick response. Can you please

expand on "problems with Windows Activation" please?

I am not sure what you mean exactly...

The virtual hardware (video card, NIC, etc.) is different then the physical hardware. Windows thinks that the OS has been copied to another machine which usually requires re-activation.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The virtual hardware (video card, NIC, etc.) is

different then the physical hardware. Windows thinks

that the OS has been copied to another machine which

usually requires re-activation.

While this is true, both Fusion and Parallels (try to) deal with this so the user doesn't have to worry about it. However, I've heard some users say that if they're using Boot Camp and Parallels and Fusion and switch between Fusion/Parallels, they have to reactivate in the other environments.

0 Kudos
Cloggie
Contributor
Contributor

I run XP home with an OEM version and windows does not let me re-activate without paying £60. That is a major problem. with Boot Camp I does not have that problem. Shame, but that is a show-stopper for me.

0 Kudos
cpetersen
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running windows XP SP2 OEM in Boot Camp and Fusion without any problems. There is a difference in activation in that you have to go through the activation phone call when using the OEM version but after that it works fine.

HTHs

0 Kudos