VMware Communities
jacobotha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using Airport for OSX and Ethernet for VMWare (WinXP)

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to configure VMWare Fusion to use a specific network card. I am currently working on a project where I am using two different networks for different purposes. I am using the wireless network in my OSX for accessing internet, mail, etc.... To be able to connect to some of the servers that I need to do work on (mainly using Putty on Unix to connect to Unix servers), I need to disconnect the Wireless and plug in the LAN cable.

A perfect solution will be if I can tell OSX to work with wireless but tell VMWARE Fusion to use Ethernet connection instead of the Wireless. By default it takes the primary connection in OSX (wireless) in my case even-though I am connected to both. When I switch off the wireless then VMWARE picks up the Ethernet but when I switch it back on, it jump back on the wireless network.

Anybody played with this kind of setup?

Thanks

Jaco

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well once again the message board to handling formatting differently!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is possible, you need to edit /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh, and tell Fusion to use your wired ethernet adapter instead of following the primary adapter. An example line is commented out, search for "eth0".

After making the edit, restart the networking daemons with

sudo "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh" --restart

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well once again the message board to handling formatting differently!

0 Kudos