VMware Communities
enricmarques
Contributor
Contributor

Use screen native resolution on Retina MacBook

I have a 2017 12" MacBook.

It has a 2304x1440 retina screen. In macOS I use a scaled resolution that looks like 1440x900, which I understand it renders everything 2x bigger on a 2880x1800 offscreen buffer, then it is scaled to match the native resolution.

I'm using VMware Fusion 10 to run a Windows 10 VM, always in full screen mode. If I select "use full retina resolution", Windows 10 thinks the screen is 2880x1800 and it scales the desktop 200%, and if I don't, the screen is 1440x900 with no scaling. The first option seems OK, as everything is pretty sharp, but as I'm a 3D software developer, my OpenGL application needs to render too many pixels, making it very slow. If I use the second option, the application runs much faster, but everything is blurry, as it is scaling up from 1440x900 to 2304x1440.

Is it possible to use the native resolution on the VM when it is in fullscreen mode?

Thanks,

Enric

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Install VMware Tools in your VM OS (Windows 10). If you already had VMware Tools installed. Repair VMware Tools (Restart may required afterwards) Uncheck "Use Full Screen Resolution for Retina Display"

0 Kudos
enricmarques
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools are installed. I've already tried to repair. That's not the problem.

Unchecking the "Use full screen resolution for Retina Display" makes the VM thinks that the screen is 1400x900, not 2304x1440 as it should be.

I think that this might be a limitation of macOS: when macOS is using an scaled resolution, the applications cannot use the native resolution of the display,  they can use the full retina resolution (more pixels than real) or scale resolution (less pixels than real).

Enric

0 Kudos