VMware Communities
gschober
Contributor
Contributor

Urgent: RC1- Snapshot error corrupts VM

Hi,

I have an XP VM that I pulled with the VMWare Converter pre RC1.

Other than the 120 DPI issue everything worked fine in RC1 but when I tried to create a new snapshot, after the warning that this will replace my previous one, I got an error message saying something like: ...failed because the host does not allow to open more files". I confirmed this message but rather than aborting, there was still some process running (window with a status bar) that - I think - referred to restoring my previous snapshot.

Now if I start this VM, I get the following error:

"File not found: XXXX-Snapshot2.vmsm". I checked, this file does not exist anywhere but there is a file XXXX-Snapshot1.vmsm which causes the VM to crash if I select it through the "Browse" option of this error message.

Any idea?

Is there a way to ignore this any snapshot and just go back to the last successful state?

Thanks

GS

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gschober
Contributor
Contributor

So I assume there is nobody from VMWare that can - or at least is willing to try to - answer this? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

That's an odd one, and I haven't seen it before.

You should back up your VM, then try renaming or removing all the snapshot files on a copy of the VM. You can also try opening your VM in VMware Workstation and manually adjusting the snapshots.

gschober
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

0 Kudos
gschober
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

Well, since I do not have a Win machine with Workstation handy, I copied the 2 snap shot files (.vmsn and .vmem) for snap shot 1 and renamed them to XXXX-Snapshot2.xxxx. This allowed me to restart with Fusion trying to restore snap shot 2. After the session was back and active for about 1 second, I got a blue screen in XP.

But at least this allowed me to select the Discard Snapshot option and after Fusion apparently deleted some files, everything works again...

Thanks,

Guenther

0 Kudos