VMware Communities
emjay73
Contributor
Contributor

Urgent: Mac keyboard shortcurts under Fusion2 running XP

Helle everybody,

I don't know if that's been asked before, but isn't it possible to remap the keys in fusion so that the keyboard behaves exactly as on the Mac side?

I really need the following key combinations (Mac) to work under WinXP in Fusion:

SHIFT-ALT+7:\

option+5: [

option+6: ]

option+7:|

option+8:{

option+9:}

option+l:@

I'm coming from Parallels and am currently investigating the pros and cons of both solutions to make a decision for the purchase of multiple licenses for our company, and if Fusion2 doesn't allow us to use these "trusted" key combinations under Windows, that would be the dealbreaker and we would go with Parallels (which - for other reasons - I'd rather not).

I tried the keymapper tool under Preferences w/o any success. Smiley Sad

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Thank you

emjay

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
sailesh_a
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, are you using an English keyboard layout?

Thanks

Sailesh

0 Kudos
sgfx
Contributor
Contributor

I second mjay73's question. You WIN-cognoscenti please help with key mapping:

Where is this @ sign in the virtual machine? I am on a German keyboard and running WINXP SP3 on FUSION 2.

0 Kudos
emjay73
Contributor
Contributor

I use a German keyboard layout.

I mapped some more keys today in Fusion's preferences like CmdT to CtrlT in order to open tabs in IE, etc., but I simply cannot map optionL to AltCtrl+Q or any of the brackets and backslashes.. Smiley Sad

I'd also assign the Cmd+Q option to Fusion so that I can quit windows apps as I do on my Mac when in Unity Mode.

emjay

0 Kudos
sailesh_a
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Unfortunately Fusion's keyboard mapper has a limitation that the left side of the key mapping can't have fewer keys than the right side.

We're working on fixing this limitation. Currently there's no work around.

Thanks

Sailesh

0 Kudos
sailesh_a
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, this is a slightly different issue. The sequence of keys used to generate the "@" sign on Windows is different than on the Mac.

I believe the correct sequence is AltGr - Q.

The AltGr is the right option key on the keyboard.

Thanks

Sailesh

0 Kudos
sgfx
Contributor
Contributor

... so where can I get this @ sign from?

Thanks

0 Kudos
emjay73
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

yes I figured this one out (right option key +Q for @).

But why can't I have option+L, so I don't have to remember the Windows/Fusion combo each time I have to use Windows?

0 Kudos
sailesh_a
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

But why can't I have option+L, so I don't have to remember the Windows/Fusion combo each time I have to use Windows?

Currently we don't support this but you're correct this this is desirable. This has been filed as a bug that we're investigating internally.

emjay73
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

Now at least I know I didn't overlook anything in the preferences, etc.

I really do hope that you can fix this issue with an update to Fusion2 in the near future. Please have another look at the other combinations I have metioned in my initial post.

I can't say whether our head of IT will be patient enough to wait or go with Parallels instead, since P. currently supports these (at least option+L). Personally, I think Fusion2's windows integration is really well done and dragging windows around in Unity mode is much smoother for me than Coherence is in Parallels.

Thank you,

emjay

0 Kudos