VMware Communities
BrianBasildon
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from v3.1.3 or will it work with Lion?

I have Fusion v3.1.3 installed this year but used very little.  Went to install some software today and it advised that I could upgrade to version 4 but following screens just took me to the main sales screens - there didn't seem a way to upgrade without buying the full product again.  Is there a way??.  If there isn't its a poor show as I only bought v3 in April this year and installed somewhat later.

If I stick with V3 will it still work OK  if I upgrade my Mac OS to Lion?    Mac is an intel version that is OK for Lion. Currently has Snow Leopard 

regards

Brian

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There is no need to upgrade and yes you'd have to pay for it.  AFAIC VMware Fusion 3.1.3 is a better product then VMware Fusion 4 is at the present time and it works with Mac OS X Lion, so don't waste your money.

As to whether it's a "poor show" I'd say it's not as the next version of software is always being developed and that's just the way it is.  Also many companies, VMware included, offer upgrade protection plans and for an additional $20 USD you could have gotten VMware Fusion 4 included in your VMware Fusion 3 purchase in April when buying from VMware.  Note: Base on the release dates of the last two major releases of VMware Fusion I would not buy the version protection as an early adopter as it was more then 12 months between releases so many people just outright got screwed out of $20.  So be very careful paying for upgrade insurance as an early adopter since base on past performance you'll just loose the money as an early adopter! Smiley Sad

If you upgrade to Mac OS X Lion...  Have a look at: VMware Fusion 3 support for Mac OS X Lion (10.7)

0 Kudos
BrianBasildon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody, very helpful.  I'll stick with 3.1.3. then and save some money

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'd wait for a couple more maintenance releases of VMware Fusion 4.x and then give the free 30 day trial a go and if you like it then you can decide to upgrade or not if you want.  You can always reinstall the latest VMware Fusion 3.x if you don't like VMware Fusion 4.x.

0 Kudos