VMware Communities
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading from macOS Mojave DP11 to release version

Hi, I've been successfully running macOS Mojave DP11 (18A389) as a Fusion 11 virtual machine. I'd like to upgrade that machine to Mojave release version (18A391, if I'm not mistaken). Unfortunately, if I try to run the Mojave installer, it immediately complains that the Mac it is running on (the Fusion virtual machine, naturally) doesn't have a Metal GPU, which, naturally, is true. I had imagined that Fusion 11 would include code to make Mojave imagine a virtual Metal card was in place. Is there a way to bypass this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hkang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi EMR, Could you send your contact info to my email, hkang@vmware.com? Our support team to contact you to investigate and collect logs if you are OK with it. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your support!

0 Kudos
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, but I can no longer proceed along that route, as I have finally updated my Mojave DP11 to macOS Mojave 10.14.1 beta1 via Software Update of System Preferences. As I said, I was unable to update to the release version of Mojave from DP11, as the installer (run in Mojave DP11) complained about  the non-Metal GPU. Oddly enough, a Software Update is not as stringent as running the regular installer. In any case, I suppose Fusion 11 is capable of creating a brand-new Mojave virtual machine from scratch using the installer. The problem is in running the installer in a previous version of macOS on a virtual machine, because the Installer (not Mojave itself) doesn't see the virtual GPU as a valid Metal card.

0 Kudos