VMware Communities
AndrewScottMusi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading from Snow Leopard to Yosemite

Hi All,

I'm currently running VMWare Fusion 4.1.4 on a Mac Snow Leopard, in order to retain access to a Windows XP Virtual Machine, which houses a quite ancient (but perfectly adequate) accounting program.

It's becoming more and more difficult to stay viable with Snow Leopard, so I'm going to upgrade it to Yosemite.

Assuming I do that, I guess I'll probably need Fusion 8, or somesuch to run Virtual Machines.

Of course there will be expense involved in upgrading Fusion, so before I buy it, I need to know:

will Fusion 8 still be able to open my dinosaur XP Virtual Machine.

All opinions gratefully received.

Andy Scott

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Andy,

Yes your "dinosaur" VM would be fine on Fusion 8.

Note however that when you update your OS X that it is smart to first:

- shut down the VM (do not suspend)

- commit open snapshots

- make a backup of your VM to an external disk, Time Machine backups DO NOT COUNT!

edit: note that you can use Fusion 8 for 30 days before having to buy the upgrade license from 4 to 8. license for Fusion 8.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Andy,

Yes your "dinosaur" VM would be fine on Fusion 8.

Note however that when you update your OS X that it is smart to first:

- shut down the VM (do not suspend)

- commit open snapshots

- make a backup of your VM to an external disk, Time Machine backups DO NOT COUNT!

edit: note that you can use Fusion 8 for 30 days before having to buy the upgrade license from 4 to 8. license for Fusion 8.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
AndrewScottMusi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Beautiful.

Thanks Wil.

0 Kudos