VMware Communities
ant
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Upgrading VMware Fusion's Mac OS X guest VMs' tools fail?

Hello.

I just upgraded my VMware Fusion v7.1.2 to v8.0.1 in my 15" MacBook Pro (Retina; SSD)'s Mac OS X v10.10.5 (Yosemite). I had no problems upgrading its virtual hardwares and 64-bit W7 EE SP1 guest's tools. However, upgrading Mac OS X (v10.8.5 [Mountain Lion] and v10.10.5 [Yosemite]) guests' tools kept failing. I had to uninstall the old guest versions before installing v8.0.1 tools. Why? I never had to do that before.

Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've just got around to installing VMware Fusion 8.0.1 (upgrading from version 7) and ran into the same problem: installation of the tools failed in all VMs running OS X 10.5 through 10.7 (so far, and I expect I'll have the same issue when I update my 10.8 through 10.10 VMs), reporting an error with the postinstall script.

I had a look inside the postinstall script using Pacifist and have a theory as to the reason for the error.

The script ends with this:

# Up to Mac OS 10.11 Developer Beta 2 (15A204h), mount(8) searches for
# mount_<fs> in the following locations, in this order:
#    /sbin/mount_<fs>
#    /usr/sbin/mount_<fs>
#    /System/Library/Filesystems/<fs>.fs/Contents/Resources/mount_<fs>
#
# Starting with Mac OS 10.11 Developer Beta 1 (15A178w), System Integrity
# Protection is enabled so even root cannot write to any of these locations.
#
# Starting with Mac OS 10.11 Public Beta 1 (15A215h), mount(8) searches for
# mount_<fs> in this 4th location, which root can write to:
#    /Library/Filesystems/<fs>.fs/Contents/Resources/mount_<fs>
mkdir -p /Library/Filesystems/vmhgfs.fs/Contents/Resources
ln -s '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/mount_vmhgfs' \
   /Library/Filesystems/vmhgfs.fs/Contents/Resources/
if [ "$macosMajor" -lt 15 ]; then
   ln -s '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/mount_vmhgfs' /sbin/
fi

I ran each command manually and they all worked except the last one, which creates a symbolic link in sbin.

$ sudo ln -s '/Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/mount_vmhgfs' /sbin/
Password:
ln: /sbin//mount_vmhgfs: File exists

The earlier version of the VMware Tools had copied mount_vmhgfs to /sbin/ rather than creating a symbolic link. Replacing it with a symbolic link requires removing the previous file first.

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think I've confirmed it: for my 10.9 VM I manually deleted /sbin/mount_vmhgfs before doing the install, and it proceeded without error.

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the report and investigation, and apologies for the trouble.

You are right - it's the mount_vmhgfs symlink that causes the installer to fail. This is something we changed for El Capitan support right before shipping Fusion 8, and didn't get a chance to fix yet.

The best workaround is to run the "Uninstall VMware Tools" app before reinstalling Tools.

0 Kudos