VMware Communities
jfischl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded to VMWare Fusion Pro 12.0 -> Causing Windows 10 to crash in TradeStation 10

Yesterday (regrettably), I upgraded to VMWare Fusion Pro 12.0. The upgrade went pretty smoothly until I tried firing up TradeStation 10 - my trading app. It causes my Windows 10 to crash / BSOD. See attached screenshot. It happens every time and seems to have something to do with the VMware Tools - display driver. I did uninstall VMWare Tools and reinstall it but this made no difference. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? 

Stop code: PFN SHARE COUNT.

What failed: vm3dmp.sys

If I can't get this to work, how difficult is it to go back to Fusion 11.5?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
s23654
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

jerryfrit

> I am seeing precisely this, when I attempt to run any of my own projects, which are built with Xojo.  The screen shot indicating "what failed" is identical.

Thanks for the data point on xojo.  We were able to reproduce this when launching xojo.  There is a workaround if you're willing to try.  This worked for xojo and hopefully TradeStation 10 and others as well.  Do let us know if it doesn't and I'll follow up.

The workaround is:

Power off the VM and add

to your .vmx file, then power it back on.

This will disable GDI HW acceleration only and have no larger effect.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
jfischl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I reverted back to Fusion 11.x and the problem went away. My advice is stay as far away as possible from 12.0.

0 Kudos
jerryfrit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am seeing precisely this, when I attempt to run any of my own projects, which are built with Xojo.  The screen shot indicating "what failed" is identical.

My workaround was to restore an older VM from backup, and this time decline to "upgrade" the VM on launch.  I did not downgrade Fusion itself.

To this point I've only noted it with the Windows VM, with no issues on Linux and legacy macOS.

This is on 10.15.6 Catalina, with the supplemental update.

0 Kudos
jerryfrit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update:  It appears that I've narrowed it down to when my apps are making a network connection.  Unfortunately, that's what my apps do.  At least, it doesn't appear to be Xojo per se.

In any case, that might present a common denominator with whatever is going on with TradeStation 10, per the OP.  Again, the crash message I get in the BSOD is identical.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

How would one test this software?

Seems I need a day-trading account to download it?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
jfischl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes, unfortunately, you do need an active, funded account to download the client. this isn't pressing for me as I downgraded back to 11.x and everything is working again. I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie.

0 Kudos
s23654
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

jerryfrit

> I am seeing precisely this, when I attempt to run any of my own projects, which are built with Xojo.  The screen shot indicating "what failed" is identical.

Thanks for the data point on xojo.  We were able to reproduce this when launching xojo.  There is a workaround if you're willing to try.  This worked for xojo and hopefully TradeStation 10 and others as well.  Do let us know if it doesn't and I'll follow up.

The workaround is:

Power off the VM and add

This will disable GDI HW acceleration only and have no larger effect.

jerryfrit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The workaround is:

Power off the VM and add

Thank you, this worked. 🙂

Strangely, in troubleshooting this before the workaround, I had had no problem with a Xojo-made "Hello World" app, so I don't know where the breaking point was.

Like you, I hope this takes care of the OP with Tradestation 10.

0 Kudos
xIanW555x
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also had the same problem, I fixed this by setting my machine hardware level to 17 under compatibility options.

0 Kudos
mncg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much for this workaround!

Without it, this is still happening to me with Fusion Pro 12.1 with a Windows 10 guest when running Altova DiffDog Enterprise 2021 (https://www.altova.com/diffdog). When you compare two directories of XML files, double-clicking on one of the files that has differences causes this same crash.

It would be great to have this app working without having to disable GDI hardware acceleration. The app works fine with Windows 10 running on Fusion Pro 11.5.6.

Hyungdon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi... I met same problem.

However I don't know how to add to .vmx file.

I am using Mac and OS is Big Sur. Please help me.

0 Kudos
DanHeath808
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone else looking for this solution its super easy. 

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1014782

0 Kudos
Witwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I recently upgraded to Mac OS Big Sur and VMware Fusion 12.  I am now getting this same error message as above when I try to open a windows based program.  Does it matter what program it is to use the suggested fix.

0 Kudos
DanHeath808
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

just follow the instructions in my post above yours .... 

0 Kudos
wwwjames
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a support ticket I can track so I can know when to remove the .vmx workaround when fixed ?

0 Kudos
umami
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm getting an identical failure when running Solidworks. Tried the workaround, and it does not fix the problem.

0 Kudos
Dashers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm seeing the same issue with XMLSpy 2020 on VMWare Workstation 16 after upgrading my VM compatibility level to the latest version.  Although dropping the hardware level back down to ESX 7, but reverting fully to Workstation 15 compatibility did the job.

0 Kudos
mhoeffner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This also happens when launching Araxis Merge 2020.5406 on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 in Fusion Player 12.1. The suggest .vmx edit worked.

0 Kudos