VMware Communities
GlebeCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded to El Capitan, VM's won't start

Hi All,

Up until a few hours ago I was using Yosemite, I have VMWare 8.0 Pro, I upgraded to el Capitan and now none of my 3 guest machines with start (Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu)

Whichever one I try and start it pauses for a few seconds then comes up with 'Internal Error'

I downloaded 8.01 which was released today and installed expecting this to fix the issue, no change, still cannot run any VM

Help Please

Andy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The crash is happening inside the 3D graphics driver.  If you don't require accelerated 3D graphics, you might be able to work around the problem by disabling acceleration in Virtual Machine > Settings... > Display, and uncheck Accelerate 3D graphics.

Are you using an after-market graphics card in your Mac Pro?  If so, it might be worth trying with the original graphics card, or, if you have installed drivers directly from Nvidia's site, it might be worth updating them – Apparently they released a new version just today which resolves all sorts of compatibility issues with Fusion 8; There is a chance it might resolve this problem too, I guess...

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Probably just need to reboot, sounds like the kexts unloaded and didn't reload.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
GlebeCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I have rebooted but no change, This is what happens when I try and start any VM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhuszn57lm0lkms/Screenshot%202015-10-02%2009.13.31.jpg?dl=0

Any further suggestions appreciated?

Andy

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Weird.

Can you try this?

1) Uninstall VMware Fusion by moving it to the trash

2) Restart your El Capitan host

3) Re-install VMware Fusion by double-clicking the .dmg, then double-clicking the VMware Fusion.app inside the .dmg (this will prompt you to enter your admin credentials).

If the above does not work, please file a bug and attach the bundle created by the "Help > Collect Support Information" menu entry.

0 Kudos
GlebeCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling, no change

I have attached the zip from the collect support information here

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The crash is happening inside the 3D graphics driver.  If you don't require accelerated 3D graphics, you might be able to work around the problem by disabling acceleration in Virtual Machine > Settings... > Display, and uncheck Accelerate 3D graphics.

Are you using an after-market graphics card in your Mac Pro?  If so, it might be worth trying with the original graphics card, or, if you have installed drivers directly from Nvidia's site, it might be worth updating them – Apparently they released a new version just today which resolves all sorts of compatibility issues with Fusion 8; There is a chance it might resolve this problem too, I guess...

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
GlebeCS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All sorted, thank you dariusd

I downloaded and installed the latest Nvidia driver here http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.02f01/WebDriver-346.03.02f01.pkg

And the latest CUDA driver here NVIDIA DRIVERS 7.5.20

All working perfectly again now

Thanks everyone for your help

Andy

0 Kudos