VMware Communities
mattosj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded my WinXP VM from 2.0.x to 3.0 and printers are missing now

Hi there

The only thing I did with my VM was upgrade VMware Fusion to the latest version... and upgrade the tools. The setting still says printers are enabled (http://grab.by/CBd) but its not in the windows printer list.. http://grab.by/CBj

Is there something I'm missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would try uninstalling VMware Tools via Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > VMware Tools and then after the reboot install VMware Tools via VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools and then check to see if the VMware Fusion Printer feature is working.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would try uninstalling VMware Tools via Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > VMware Tools and then after the reboot install VMware Tools via VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools and then check to see if the VMware Fusion Printer feature is working.

0 Kudos
mattosj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying that now. I also noticed this under "other devices"

http://grab.by/CFr

0 Kudos
mattosj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nope, reinstalling VMWare Tools didnt do it. Still no printer passthrough

0 Kudos
mattosj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, scratch that.. it's back after I rebooted the VM twice. Thanks man!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That, (the Serial Port), not being connected can be (one of), the causes of the Host's Printers not showing up as it needs to be connected. So with the Virtual Machine shutdown, not suspended, connect the Serial Port.

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That serial port is used for printing to the Mac's printers. You shouldn't have to touch that. If it still doesn't work after re-installing Tools as suggested I can dig up some registry entries that will enable logging of TP AutoConnect (stuff that supports printing via the Mac's printers) to possible see if there are some errors happening.

I have found that one of my virtual machines I frequently have to stop and start the TP AutoConnect Service to get the printers to be created. Have never been able to isolate why this VM has issues and my other one doesn't seem to. Usually creates them after one or two tries so I haven't focused on isolating it further.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That serial port is used for printing to the Mac's printers. You shouldn't have to touch that.

Generally speaking yes one shouldn't have to touch it however in the linked picture there is no check in the Connected check box while showing the Virtual Machine is running, hence the "These settings..." message, and it needs to be checked in order for it to work properly and I'm not sure that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools will change that setting as it was probably manually unchecked at some point in time.