VMware Communities
beavermuffin
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to final version of Windows 8 on VMWare Fusion and future installs

I have searched this question for all over the web, but there was no clear cut answer, so I'm going to ask here....

With Windows 8 coming out in few days, I am ready to upgrade the Windows 7 on VMWare Fusion 5 to Windows 8.

The problem is, I have not done upgrade before via VMWare fusion, and in the past, when I had PC, I would just pop in the upgrade disc and install. With Virtual OS, is upgrade version of the OS install recommended?

Also, this is first time Windows will distribute upgrade at discount via download only. When I install Windows 8 via download only, will VMWare fusion recognize that I upgraded the OS?

Also, what if I accidenty delete the OS from my virtual machine? How will I be able to perform a full install directly to Windows 8 without the need of full install price disc.

Also planned, Microsoft hinted that Windows might go download only distribution. How will Windows be installed on VMWare Fusion, not to mention Bootcamp if Microsoft does indeed go the method of Macs and distribute the OS exclusively on Windows Store?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

beavermuffin wrote:

I have searched this question for all over the web, but there was no clear cut answer, so I'm going to ask here....

With Windows 8 coming out in few days, I am ready to upgrade the Windows 7 on VMWare Fusion 5 to Windows 8.

The problem is, I have not done upgrade before via VMWare fusion, and in the past, when I had PC, I would just pop in the upgrade disc and install. With Virtual OS, is upgrade version of the OS install recommended?

Also, this is first time Windows will distribute upgrade at discount via download only. When I install Windows 8 via download only, will VMWare fusion recognize that I upgraded the OS?

Also, what if I accidenty delete the OS from my virtual machine? How will I be able to perform a full install directly to Windows 8 without the need of full install price disc.

Also planned, Microsoft hinted that Windows might go download only distribution. How will Windows be installed on VMWare Fusion, not to mention Bootcamp if Microsoft does indeed go the method of Macs and distribute the OS exclusively on Windows Store?

First, if you haven't tried any of the free Windows 8 previews yet, you may be in for a big shock once you upgrade; indeed, I've seen stock analysts saying to sell your Microsoft stock before Windows 8 hits the street.Smiley Wink

At least for current Win 7 PC purchases, you can get the upgrade for $15, and the process involves downloading the upgrading Win 8 installer. At that point, you're given the choice of doing the upgrade, creating a separate upgrade file or a DVD with the upgrade on it. I'd imagine a full upgrade purchase would involve the same process, just at a higher price. Very likely, you'd need to conduct the transaction from your Win 7 virtual machine. Fusion 5.0.1 already contains Windows 8 as an OS choice; you might  have to change it manually but that's no big deal.

The upgrade is expecting a validated Win 7 installation to upgrade so don't accidentally delete it. The retail upgrade offers I've seen suggest that a boxed version will be available too, which would suggest that a full  install on a disk wouldn't be far behind.

0 Kudos
beavermuffin
Contributor
Contributor

but how would I download and install full version of Windows if Microsoft does switch to download only distribution via app store?

So if I accidently do delete the Windows virtual machine on my VMWare Fusion, does that mean I have to run down to my local Microsoft Store and pickup a full copy of Windows 8, for outrageous price?

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

beavermuffin wrote:

but how would I download and install full version of Windows if Microsoft does switch to download only distribution via app store?

So if I accidently do delete the Windows virtual machine on my VMWare Fusion, does that mean I have to run down to my local Microsoft Store and pickup a full copy of Windows 8, for outrageous price?

Yes, that's what it could mean, but you could also do the upgrade and immediately duplicate your upgraded VM and keep it as a backup.

One of the virtues of using a virtual machine is that it's a lot easier to make a working duplicate than it is to make a duplicate PC.

But really, to quote a current political candidate on how to fix a particular problem: don't do those things.

0 Kudos