VMware Communities
davidanson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade to Version 6 slows down my XP Virtual Machine

Just upgraded to Fusion version 6.0.3 and am starting to regret it.  When I start my XP virtual machine the processor is given quite a thrashing, cooling fan kicks in.  Once I start trying to use it then everything takes forever.  I am testing out a number of variants of Windows software prior to release and so am installing and then using Add/Remove Programs to uninstall.  Firstly it is showing the searching flashlight for some 10-15 seconds as Control Panel starts and then takes a couple of minutes to populate the list of programs before I can start to uninstall my program.  All I have done during the upgrade is allow Fusion to upgrade the Virtual Machine.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

XP can't use more than 2 cores, and you're starving the host for resources (that's a 4 core chip).  Downgrading to 2 cores should help a lot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What previous version?  Did you upgrade the virtual hardware and vmware tools (the latter may be a manual install)?  What host OS version, and what is the host and guest RAM and CPU configuration?

0 Kudos
davidanson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Version 5

VMWare tools upgraded automatically the first time I started Fusion 6.  Host OS is Mavericks. 

2.7Ghz Intel Core i7 RAM 16GB

Guest is 4 Processor cores 1284 MB

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

XP can't use more than 2 cores, and you're starving the host for resources (that's a 4 core chip).  Downgrading to 2 cores should help a lot.

0 Kudos
davidanson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.  I will make the changes and see how that improves things.

0 Kudos