VMware Communities
justinash
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to Big Sur and can't run VMWare Fusion 11 Pro

Just upgraded to macOS Big Sur, and can't launch VMWare Fusion 11 Pro says version not supported. That is a ridiculous that I have to pay $99 to upgrade to VMWare Fusion 12 Pro when I upgrade macOS? Please advise.

Labels (1)
48 Replies
rick_332211
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using Fusion 12 and settings is greyed so I can't get into Processors & Memory to change hypervisor setting.  Anyone know how I can access settings? tia

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@orbit122 

Moderator: Please do not distribute VMware binaries that are not readily available to others based on their own entitlements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@rick_332211 

Moderator: Please create a thread of your own rather than "hijacking" this one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
orbit122
Contributor
Contributor

I did not offer anything that is not available through VMware free of charge. I did not offer a license or anything I did not also download for free legitimately. 

0 Kudos
GBoydRatcliff
Contributor
Contributor

I've had enough paying ~$99 for a new version of VMware Fusion every time I upgrade Mac OS. I've had enough of this, and Parallels (new licence, not upgrade) is CHEAPER than VMware Fusion upgrade. So I'm moving to Parallels. Really VMware, I've had enough

lelias
Contributor
Contributor

I have Fusion 12.1, and I accidentally updated my mac to BIg Sur, but is an Intel based Chip... and I install and it says the file is not found. Any way to solve the problem?

0 Kudos
ex-customer
Contributor
Contributor

Enough is enough! What a horrid sales and support model. I should have moved to parallels years ago and now I will. You can buy parallels pro and the business edition which we'll start supplying to our users, for the same cost as VMware Pro upgrade. Do some research -- Parallels is a better product anyway. I'll lose the VSphere management capabilities, but the html5 web interface is fine now.

Really, VMWare is horrible software company. Had a great product line back in the day, but typical of legacy software companies, they got too big, lack innovation, and try to live off of their cash cow legacy products. The support has always been bad. They've ruined every company they purchased. So sad.

0 Kudos
GBoydRatcliff
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I made the same decision - I've now gone to Parallels and wish I'd done it sooner. It's a better product, cheaper, and you just open your VMware VMs and it converts them (all mine converted without any issue) - you just have to uninstall the VMware tools when it first starts. Loving Parallels - VMware .... I'm gone!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@lelias 

Moderator: Please create your own thread in this Fusion Discussions area about your issue, include screenshots and any other useful information when creating that thread.

0 Kudos
Fergus64
Contributor
Contributor

I have fusion 11 for less than a year and a customer since Fusion 7.    This really is outrageous of VMWare to treat loyal customers this way , where is the customer experience? . 

It's time for me to walk away from Vmware as this level of entrapment is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 11 was for Mojave and is two years old.  Fusion 11.5 was free, and is for Catalina.  Fusion 12 is for Big Sur.  If you've been around since Fusion 7, you understand that when apple makes major changes to the OS, Fusion has a paid upgrade.  When the changes are more minor, they have a free upgrade like Fusion 8.5.

If it's for personal use, Fusion 12 is now free, and they have an upgrade guarantee program for recent purchasers of 11.5.

0 Kudos
cleardave
Contributor
Contributor

Terrible support...just terrible!

0 Kudos
Witwood
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,  I bought what I thought was the correct upgrade but some of my software is still not operating in the virtual machine.  Is there a difference between Fusion 12 and Fusion 12 player (I paid $79 for the upgrade).  Help!

0 Kudos
wpallard
Contributor
Contributor

I likewise have been a Fusion user since version 7 and paid to upgrade several times.  Currently using version 11 but the buck stops here.  I don't know if the competition is any better with their forced upgrade paths, but I am going to find out.  Shame on you vmware for driving away your loyal customers.......

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you've been around that long, you know that when Apple makes massive changes to the OS, Fusion has a paid upgrade.  This time though, they also have a free version for personal use.  The competition is the same or worse - because they have the same issue.  It takes development resources to keep up with Apple's changes, and those people cost money.  That has to come from somewhere.

0 Kudos
orbit122
Contributor
Contributor

You know how many other paid upgrades I have had to make after this upgrade? Zero. Zero software companies have forced me to pay for an upgrade after the Big Sur update. It does take people to develop updates but that is paid for buy new version upgrades for people looking for latest and greatest. Some are fine with the version they have. 

the “free” version you are referring to is NOT comparable at all. Plus it’s not new. It’s been around for a long time. Saying use the free version of a platform I paid for is ridiculous.

most companies have offered free upgrades for versions dating a version or two back and charge for the rest. That’s how you keep customers. But you go ahead and spend the money every time Mac releases an update that VMware finds to difficult to get done without nickel and dimming their customers.  

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Actually that's not correct.  Fusion has never had a free version for the mac until Fusion 12. 

The point is that Fusion is a relatively cheap piece of software that requires extensive development support - that combination means more frequent paid upgrades.  VMWare makes no secret about that, yet every time Apple has a new release (or more accurately, about every other, since Fusion has been doing .5 free upgrades fairly frequently), this complaint comes up.

Fusion has vastly deeper integrations with the operating system than almost any other software.   In recent versions, especially in Big Sur, Apple has made massive changes to how the internals of the OS work, and that breaks things (and did, badly, for big sur).  It'll get even worse for the next version, and let's not even talk about the M1 migration.

I pay a subscription for most software these days, so the changes required were baked into that cost (Adobe for example).  Software that didn't have deep integrations with the OS, didn't even require an upgrade.  My firewall certainly did (which I had to pay for), as did disk utilities (which I also paid for), and a couple of other more esoteric applications as well.  Some of my software *still* won't work properly with Big Sur, paid or not.

In the end, all commercial virtualization software has basically the same business model (Fusion's is actually the most generous).  When things change, charge the customers to fund coders.

0 Kudos
ipbloke
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a bunch VMWare. I have been upgrading VM fusion since 8.X and hadn't realised that the Big Sur upgrade would break Fusion 11.5 for me..

I only upgraded my licence to 11.5 on 24th April 2020 so it seems I am not eligible under the Technology Guarantee Program for a licence upgrade to v12.0 as this only comes into effect if you purchased your 11.5 licence after the 15th June 2020 

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2020/08/announcing-fusion-12-and-workstation-16.html 

Really disappointed here that their is no discounted upgrade path.. I guess I need to find something different now to run moving forwards.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You really can’t say that VMware has no discounted upgrade path for Fusion. Yes, the Technology Guarantee Program gave you a free upgrade from Fusion 11.5 to Fusion 12 if you purchased 11.5 after 15 June 2020.  But VMware also gives owners of older Fusion versions a discount on version 12 upgrades. Example: Fusion 12 Pro list price is $199, but the upgrade price is $99.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ipbloke
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps they do have an upgrade path however I haven't seen it. When I navigate to Products & Account > Accounts > Manage Licences then I can see Fusion 11 listed as a product however when I select 'Upgradable Products'  then it shows nothing whatsoever...

If there is an upgrade path then its not via this route, which is where I would expect it to be...

If you have a link to this then more than happy to take a look ?

0 Kudos