VMware Communities
l-rs
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade scares

I need VMWare for my work, so I delayed the upgrade until after my morning shift. The install went fine, but after the reboot (of the real machine, that is) it came up with a blue screen and not the login window. Rebooted yet again, no dice. I then went to single user mode and did a forced fsck check. Then it did go through to the graphical user interface, but it did give me a bit of a scare.

Also I'm currently enjoying the 32 x PCI-to-PCI-bridges drama (search for it on the forum) and a couple of undetected devices even after running VMWare Tools.

Still, it seems to be working again - but I really hadn't expected this beta-feel from a non-beta designated upgrade.

My 2 cts

Lars

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Still, it seems to be working again - but I really hadn't expected this beta-feel from a non-beta designated upgrade.

I was quite shocked that VMware went from 2.0RC1 to 2.0 without doing an RC2 and in such a short time frame. Frankly when one reads the Known Issues section of the Fusion 2.0 Release Notes it's hard to believe that the Product was even ready as a Release Candidate much less ready for Release.

I suspect it was totally a marketing driven decision to be able to present Fusion 2.0 at VMworld this week in Las Vegas! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mac_pro_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmmm... Very interesting!

I think I'll be holding off on the upgrade for now.

0 Kudos
l-rs
Contributor
Contributor

Also, now that I'm working on the upgraded machine (morning shift here in The Netherlands) I get a firsthand feeling for the performance - or better the lack of it. Responsiveness is appaling, it's slow, windows (so windows, not Windows the OS) are slow to render and I had to repair the network connection after I'd resumed the machine to get it to work again.

This isn't even beta, it's alpha-ish. If I had known this, I wouldn't have upgraded - I use this stuff for work. If you can, better hold off for the next update.

Related question: any way to downgrade? I also hate the new overview screen that list the virtual machines. This too is slow as hell (Core2 Duo 2,4 GHz iMac with 3 GB). 😐

0 Kudos