VMware Communities
thrang
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade host Mac to Mojave; any issues running VMWare 10.1.2 Professional and existing Windows 10 VM?

I've read through some of the threads, but I'm not sure I'm getting the answer I'm seeing.

I'm fine right now on in iMac 5k running 10.13.6 High Sierra beta and VMWare Fusion 10.1.2 Professional.  My only VM is a Windows 10 installation.

I would like to upgrade my Mac to Mojave developer beta 2. Are there any issues running my existing VMWare and Tools, and launching my existing VM? Do I need to prep things in advance, or no issues, or known issues?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There's always issues - particularly for early stage beta release.  Apple regularly changes things throughout the cycle, and that can break Fusion, so even if it works now, it may stop later.

If you have a critical need, I'd dual-boot the mac - install Mojave on an external drive for testing, and use High Sierra for production work.

See here:  macOS 10.14 Mojave Developer Preview/Beta guest...

for more commentary.

0 Kudos
henryec33
Contributor
Contributor

Movaje destroyed ability for my USB keyboard and mouse to work with Windows Xp and Windows 8 VMs.  t

ried the fixes in the KB.  No use.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Henryec33,

Please have a look here:

Keyboard and Mouse not working in VMWare Fusion guests

It is not a VMware Fusion 10 issue, it is because Mojave changed how things work.

FWIW, this also happens on VMware Fusion 11.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
henryec33
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the idea.  Tired that and no good.  There is a solution.  This is the correct topic link Keyboard and Mouse not working in VMWare Fusion guests

The short answer is the Mojave upgrade unchecks the box in Apple Accessibility Options that allow VMWare to use the mouse and keyboard.

This problem is with the Apple upgrade not moving settings.  Vmware works fine once this box has been checked, again.

0 Kudos
markus_chur
Contributor
Contributor

For me the upgrade from Fusion 10 to Fusion 11 was a big mistake. Now I have the complete desaster of 10 destroyed Windows 10 VMs. Windows could not repair them so I let the reset to a clean system - and done that, after a while it crashed again and the VM can not be repaired again!

0 Kudos
markus_chur
Contributor
Contributor

... I have to add: Fusion 10 worked well on Mojave 10.14.1

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's not supported, so your VM's are at risk.  Make sure you make frequent backups (not time machine of course).

0 Kudos