VMware Communities
starman99
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from Fusion 1.1 RC to Fusion 1.1 stalls

When I try to upgrade my current Fusion 1.1 RC to the current download of Fusion 1.1, the installation utility stalls. Maybe I'm too impatient, but the progess bar just stays in the same place for 20 minutes. I have Windows XP SP2 installed. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi starman99,

Can you post the file:

/var/log/install.log

so we can diagnose this? We haven't heard of this before.

The VMware Fusion installer does a few network checks to find a private network address it can use for your virtual machines. That check may be stalled for some reason, although it is supposed to time out.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You won't lose your virtual machine data by uninstalling. Try the the uninstaller, then install 1.1 released version from the download image. When VMware Fusion starts up again, locate your existing virtual machine from Documents > Virtual Machines and double-click the icon. Of if you have a Boot Camp partition, VMware will discover that automatically.

Again there is no risk to an uninstall/re-install. If you want to be super careful, verify your disk in Apple Disk Utility and check permissions, then you can reboot after the uninstall and again after the re-install.

Save the install.log for VMware before starting the above so you can help them troubleshoot the issue.

edit: Adding more info after reading Ben's note.

0 Kudos