VMware Communities
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade XP x64 to Vista x64

Are there any known issues with upgrading XP x64 to Vista x64? I am considering taking a Snapshot of XP 64 and doing a Vista upgrade to see if there any more speed improvements (I've read Vista x64 can be faster than XP x64). I'm all about the performance improvements.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm all about the performance improvements.

Then don't install Vista. Smiley Happy

Seriously, I have XP64 and Vista64 VMs, and XP is \_much_

speedier. Vista64 can't even stream video without skipping,

while XP64 handles it fine. And this is in "Classic Windows"

mode, no Aero eyecandy!

My personal feeling is that Vista was released \_way_ before it was ready.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
nospamboz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm all about the performance improvements.

Then don't install Vista. Smiley Happy

Seriously, I have XP64 and Vista64 VMs, and XP is \_much_

speedier. Vista64 can't even stream video without skipping,

while XP64 handles it fine. And this is in "Classic Windows"

mode, no Aero eyecandy!

My personal feeling is that Vista was released \_way_ before it was ready.

0 Kudos
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I feel exactly the same way about Vista, but even so I'm willing to test it myself. If I did, I'd turn off most of the services that I feel are unneeded since I use XP only for VS 2005 and don't need all the extra junk.

From the reports I've read, Vista x64 is optimized much more for 64-bit processors and if you turn off all the needed services and use the WIn2000 classic theme, it can be faster than XP 64. So I'd like to try it.

But before I do, I also don't want to waste any time if there are any known upgrade issues on the VM (I'm specifically thinking of things like Parallel's needed an Upgrade to Vista menu).

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually, you cannot upgrade from XP x64 to any other version of Windows, and you cannot upgrade to Windows Vista x64 from any other version of Windows. So if you want to "upgrade", you'll need to completely reinstall.

HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Really????? That \*must* be a joke. How can MS be serious about x64 if they won't allow upgrades from XP x64 to Vista x64?

0 Kudos
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

You are correct. How brain dead is that. oh well, saved me some time Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, most of us in the real world think that the actual upgrade path is from[/b] Vista to[/b] XP. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's a multi-faceted decision, actually...

1: XP x64 has like diddly for marketshare. You, me, and a few other people (okay, not that bad, but there is a TINY marketshare for XP x64, which was only available via OEM). Developing and testing an upgrade path for that to Vista is a lot of work for a limited return (esp with Vista's new setup engine).

2: Vista (and Windows Server 2008) x64 requires signed drivers for everything[/I]. If your XP had any drivers that couldn't be updated safely, it could potentially lead to a nasty upgrade where your system basically gets hosed mid-upgrade.

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, most of us in the real world think that the

actual upgrade path is from[/b] Vista to[/b]

XP. Smiley Wink

Actually my upgrade path was from XP Media Center Edition to Windows XP (running under VMware on my iMac). Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
hatchmo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

and you cannot upgrade to Windows Vista x64 from any other version of Windows.

So if you want to "upgrade", you'll need to completely reinstall.

Yes, but somebody forgot to tell that to Fusion. All Fusion will DO is attempt an upgrade, if you choose Easy Install.

A clean install requires a boot from the Vista x64 DVD. And the Windows installer won't allow Fusion to boot from the disc. Not even if you designate that particular DVD drive, or a .cdr or .iso image, if you don't already have an OS installed on the VM. Fusion attempts an upgrade no matter what, and, because there's nothing there to upgrade, the install aborts with the message:

>To use the product key you entered, start the installation on a

>computer that is running a genuine version of Windows.

The trick is to

-- Uncheck Easy Install in the VM assistant.

-- Show Package Contents... in the Finder to find the .vmx file.

-- Edit that file to add the line: bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

This will display the BIOS editor the next time you launch the machine.

-- In the BIOS editor, move the CD to the top of the boot list and save.

-- The Windows DVD now magically boots. During that installation process, you may enter your Key. Some people suggest not entering it, thus installing the 30-day trial. But now you have a Windows version to boot up, from which you can run the installer again--this time without having to boot from the DVD.

0 Kudos