VMware Communities
adam_o
Contributor
Contributor

Updating Video Drivers in Fusion

Hello all,

Before I begin I would like to note that it's really hard to figure out how to post a topic. Anyways...

I am trying to play a game called Saga but when I launch the game, it gives the following message:

So I made sure I had the latest version, installed the VMware Tools, but it still claims that it needs to be updated. What gives? All help is appreciated.

adam_o

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Adam, welcome to the VMware Community forums. Your post has been moved to the VMware Fusion forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
adam_o
Contributor
Contributor

Oh I'm sorry - I didn't notice a forum specifically for this. Thank you.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

AFAIK at the present time Fusion does not support OpenGL hardware acceleration so there aren't any OpenGL video drivers for the VMware SVGA II Graphics Adapter.

0 Kudos
adam_o
Contributor
Contributor

...so I can't play any games that use OpenGL, or is there a way around this?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

...so I can't play any games that use OpenGL

I'm not a gamer so all I know is what I've read as presented by VMware and or it employees and that is what I said in my first reply however it would stand to reason if VMware does not support OpenGL hardware acceleration and there aren't any OpenGL video drivers for the VMware SVGA II Graphics Adapter then I don't see how you can play a game that requires OpenGL hardware acceleration.

I'd suggest you use the Community Search box at the top right corner of the web page and see what has already asked and answered on the subject.

or is there a way around this?

Using Boot Camp is the only option I can think of.

0 Kudos
adam_o
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not a gamer so all I know is what I've read as presented by VMware and or it employees and that is what I said in my first reply however it would stand to reason if VMware does not support OpenGL hardware acceleration and there aren't any OpenGL video drivers for the VMware SVGA II Graphics Adapter then I don't see how you can play a game that requires OpenGL hardware acceleration.

Is "hardware acceleration" the same as just using OpenGL in a game? Because I thought they were two totally different things.

I'd suggest you use the Community Search box at the top right corner of the web page and see what has already asked and answered on the subject.

I've already done so, with no success other than "update to the latest version" which is what I've already done.

Using Boot Camp is the only option I can think of.

That's starting to sound like the only viable option...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is "hardware acceleration" the same as just using OpenGL in a game? Because I thought they were two totally different things.

I'd imagine that OpenGL in Games can use software emulation however I don't think it matters in that from what I've read that has been posted before in the forums is OpenGL is not supported by VMware at the present time as their focus is working on DirectX over OpenGL. When it comes to games about the only option in this area I know of from a default settings standpoint is to turn on Accelerate 3D graphics under System Hardware > Display on the target Virtual Machine's Settings sheet and this is for DirectX not OpenGL. From what I've read in the forums with games it's pretty much if it works it works and if not then Boot Camp is the alternative.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

They are different. OpenGL is an API, but this doesn't say anything about how fast those operations can be performed. Operations which the hardware can handle are "hardware accelerated". Most (all?) implementations can fall back to software rendering, but this is of course much slower. For performance (e.g. games), software rendering probably isn't good enough, so your game is probably checking for hardware acceleration. Fusion doesn't currently support OpenGL acceleration; Boot Camp is a better option.

For more detail than you probably care about, Apple has a list of supported capabilities by graphics card. The reason we don't support DirectX acceleration on Macs with integrated video is that some of the capabilities we need aren't supported by those chips.

adam_o
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thank you guys, I think I might be firing up Boot Camp soon to see if that works. Thanks!

0 Kudos
baronfunke
Contributor
Contributor

I've had very limited success running a Boot Camp partition on any virtualization platform, but when it HAS worked, some OpenGL apps still don't work up to par.

0 Kudos