VMware Communities
johnmudd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Updated Mac OS, now VMWare Fusion won't start

I updated Mac OS 10.4.11 on Intel MacBook Pro and now VMWare Fusion won't start. I've since upgraded, uninstalled and re-installed to Fusion 2.0.2. That didn't help

I've attached the VMWare logs. Any suggestions?

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi John,

I checked out your logs -- thanks for posting them! You're running into a crash in one of Apple's libraries (OpenSSL, to be specific), which VMware Fusion uses.

I see a number of Mac OS X 10.4.11 users complaining about the same crash in iTunes:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8254606

http://forums.macworld.com/thread/105826

They claim that installing the latest Security Updates from Apple (they specifically mention 2008-007) fixes the issue.

Can you try installing the latest Security Updates and let us know if that fixes the Apple bug?

Thanks!

Ben

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No real suggestions yet, but I filed bug 375708 about this.

I doubt it'll work, but what happens if you move com.vmware.fusion.plist from /Users/$/Library/Preferences?

johnmudd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I removed com.vmware.fusion.plist from /Users/$/Library/Preferences directory but it didn't seem to help. The log looks the same. I also created the missing "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/vmware.vmsg" directory & file. I still get these msgs which I guess is the main problem.

Feb 18 13:53:20.269: vmfusion| UUID: Unable to open /dev/mem: No such file or directory

Feb 18 13:53:20.331: vmfusion| HOSTDEV-MAC: HostDeviceInfo_FindHostSoundDevices: Found default sound devices .

Feb 18 13:53:20.337: vmfusion| Could not open /proc/net/dev

Feb 18 13:53:20.337: vmfusion| SGMAC: XXX: SGHostEnumerate not yet implemented

0 Kudos
X5Driver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mine wouldn't startup either but a restart of my computer solved the problem.

johnmudd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting. I've definitely tried plenty of reboots. I still can't get it to start.

Do you have /dev/mem on your Mac? I don't so I'm just wondering if I should.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi John,

I checked out your logs -- thanks for posting them! You're running into a crash in one of Apple's libraries (OpenSSL, to be specific), which VMware Fusion uses.

I see a number of Mac OS X 10.4.11 users complaining about the same crash in iTunes:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8254606

http://forums.macworld.com/thread/105826

They claim that installing the latest Security Updates from Apple (they specifically mention 2008-007) fixes the issue.

Can you try installing the latest Security Updates and let us know if that fixes the Apple bug?

Thanks!

Ben

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I also created the missing "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/vmware.vmsg" directory & file. I still get these msgs which I guess is the main problem.

Feb 18 13:53:20.269: vmfusion| UUID: Unable to open /dev/mem: No such file or directory

Feb 18 13:53:20.331: vmfusion| HOSTDEV-MAC: HostDeviceInfo_FindHostSoundDevices: Found default sound devices .

Feb 18 13:53:20.337: vmfusion| Could not open /proc/net/dev

Feb 18 13:53:20.337: vmfusion| SGMAC: XXX: SGHostEnumerate not yet implemented

All these (including the missing English vmesg file) are normal and ignorable.

0 Kudos
johnmudd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm already up-to-date on all Mac updates AFAIK. I'm looking at my update log. Here are some recent updates. VMWare had been working until the last two updates and updating VMWare itself to 2.0.2.

Security Udate 2008-007 on 10/15/08

iTunes 8.0.2 11/24/08

Security Udate 2008-008 12/19/08

Java, Release 8 2/16/09

Security Udate 2009-001 2/16/09

I think it was the last two updates that started the problem. The good news is that I just tried to start my iTunes and it does indeed crash. I'll report that to Apple and see if they can help.

0 Kudos
prostuff1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would try reinstalling the 10.4.11 update and the security update that was listed above.

I have found that sometimes reinstalling the updates by hand fixes the probelms

0 Kudos
johnmudd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked! I downloaded and reinstalled the following two updates. I tried VMWare after the 10.4.11 update but it still failed. I then installed the SecUpd2009-001 update and now both VMWare and iTunes work normally. Thanks!!

-rw-rr 1 mudd mudd 134238977 Feb 18 17:06 MacOSXUpd10.4.11Intel.dmg

-rw-rr 1 mudd mudd 172210155 Feb 18 17:24 SecUpd2009-001Intel.dmg

John

0 Kudos
prostuff1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad that worked. I almost always install the combo updates when they come out instead of letting OS X install the updates for me.

0 Kudos