VMware Communities
TigerT007
Contributor
Contributor

Update to Windows 10 20H2 from Windows 10 1909 failing in VMWare Fusion 12.1.0

Every time I try to up to update from Windows 10 1909 VM to Windows 10 20H2 when the system reboots after the upgrade, I get a blue screen with the error "System Thread Exception Not Handled". After manually rebooting, the Win 10 VM goes back to Windows 1903. I had the same issue with Fusion 11 and I hoped that Fusion 12 would fix the issue. It hasn't. Any ideas?

iMac 5K Currently running on MacOS Big Sur but I had the same issue on MacOS Catalina.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KEHO
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem on Macbook Pro 13" with i9 processor and MacBook Pro 15" with i9 processor.  The iMac 27" i9 took the upgrade but only occasionally crashes with BSOD instead of everytime like the Laptops. Even experimentally copied the working VM to the laptops but they still crashed.  Running latest Catalina on all.  Hope I don't have to go back to BootCamp on the laptops to run the later versions of Windows, or even worse, hope I don't have to get a PC laptop. Yikes!

0 Kudos
HurcoMv
Contributor
Contributor

Is is possible to upgrade to W10 2004 first? I have a 32GB MBP 15" Core i9 system and upgraded from 2004 to 20H2 last June, which would have been Catalina still then. I would have also been using Fusion 11.5 still too, so it is a different environment to yours of course.

The Windows 10 VM is configured with 8GB memory, 2 cores.

0 Kudos
KEHO
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip on upgrading from 2004 but I did not have one to try.  Your reply did point me in the right direction, however, of trying a fresh install instead of trying to upgrade from 1909 to 20H2 on the MacBook.  Did the fresh install within guest environment Win 10, retaining only user files and then later re-installed all the applications. So far, after a few days, it has worked perfectly on MacBook without a glitch whatsoever.  Thus, sometimes a fresh install does fix the problem. As a side benefit, it is also a much more snappier and responsive system, which made re-installing all the applications more palatable.

0 Kudos