VMware Communities
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update to Monterey Beta 6 not offered

Hi all,

I have a VM running Monterey Beta 5, running on Fusion 12.1.2 (host is iMac 2020 running Big Sur 11.5.2).

The issue is that Beta 6 update is not offered through the regular System Preferences -> Software Update panel.

After digging a bit, It seems Apple now requires the T2 ID when probing for software updates.

I guess the issue is that my physical Mac has a T2 chip and the VM uses the same HW model but the T2 ID is not emulated so something in the requesting update chain fails.

Any idea where to start to address the issue?

Is this something VMware should be aware of? I think this will be the default policy for future updates 😞

Thanks

Ale

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

VMWare hasn't released a version that even has preview support for Monterey, so I'd expect to see support in the next version (assuming apple doesn't totally break things).

0 Kudos
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right 😊

Monterey runs so smoothly (even better than Big Sur) that I forgot it's still not "officially" supported.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Like you I did not see beta 6 for my VM, but I just tried for beta 7 and it is offered as normal.

wila_0-1632311274676.png

Not sure yet if it works as I'm running the update right now, but this at least is hopeful.

edit: The update ran fine, my VM is now on Monterey beta 7 (21A5522h)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Wil

it worked on my side as well, everything seems back to normal 🙂

gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Same here downloading now.  I have a Meraki management profile on my VM and had been getting the message I was at highest version my administrator would allow, but none of my other BigSur or older VMs had a message like that.

0 Kudos