VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Update is stalled

Cannot update on my MBA M1.. Trying to go from 13.0.1 to 13.0.2 it downloads ok, but cannot install: This is the message:

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 10.17.37 am.png

It stays that way.  waited like 20 minutes, and refuses to budge.  Almost looks like nits waiting for something else to complete, but can't

Bugger if i know... I have to "Force quit" to regain access to Fusion, but update not applied.. Any fix ?? Tried 3 or 4 times can can reproduce every time..

Website also not updated so even if i wanted to download new version, i could not...

So, this is the only path at this point.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you collect a "quick" support bundle for the VM after trying it once more, and then post that in a reply here.

Use Help > Collect Support Information > Quick

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Attached.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It sounds like there's a file locked somewhere, or permissions are messed up.  Just to make sure:

- You've installed and are running fusion as an administrator account (not regular or guest)

- It's not a case-sensitive file system (you would have had to do this deliberately)

- Haven't used any third party 'optimization' or 'cleaning' utilities that fiddle with disk permissions (CCcleaner, Onyx, or MacKeeper)

- Haven't set a root password on the mac from terminal (rare)

- Haven't disabled SIP

- Have run a first aid in disk utility

- No corporate endpoint management software running, or antivirus software running

- Fusion is installed on the internal drive, and Fusion was originally installed to the default location (would have to be done deliberately)

- Have tried rebooting and then immediately update Fusion without doing anything else

If all that's true, you might try a clean install of Fusion.  

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If you do want to try a clean install, make sure you follow the instructions in KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 to the letter. It's not enough to uninstall Fusion by dragging the app to the trash. You must find and remove all files noted in the KB article, and that includes files/folders in:

• /Library (that's the Library folder found in "Macintosh HD" or whatever you're calling your boot drive)
  • ~/Library (that's the hidden Library folder found in your account's home folder - from the Finder hold down the Option key while clicking on the Go menu and the Library folder will be revealed).

Both places must be checked as instructed in the KB article. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

None of this fixed the problem..

I uninstalled completely via KB article, but before i installed clean, i created second admin User and tried installing from that account, just to isolate possible account issue.

The attached is from that for comparison (if needed)

Same problem persist.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Very strange that the main site hasn’t yet been updated, anyway:

https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/fusion-evaluation.html

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

(DP (network problems): please remove, if possible…)

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That's really odd - and none of the other things in my post apply?

0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That's correct.

Downloading 13.0.2 clean from above worked. but still facing issue of not able to update from within fusion.

I might try a clean re-install of MacOS.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Have you tried booting into safe mode, then do the update from there?

It sure sounds like something is open/locked that shouldn't be.

0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just tried booting to Safe boot 5 mins ago...  Same issue...

Would Help > Collect Support Information > Full, shed any light ?

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

^^^ The main site has now been updated to 13.0.2:

https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/fusion-evaluation.html

0 Kudos