VMware Communities
jfcutolo
Contributor
Contributor

Update Windows VM to latest Windows 10 version 20H2

I have the latest VM Fusion application on my MacBook Pro using a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit VM.  I have never had any issues updating Windows on the machine, till now.

I haven't been able to update to Windows Version 20H2 for the past 6 months.  I always fails with really no error message.

I have asked Windows support for help and have tried everything, even mounting the update and trying overwrite, which runs but fails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure this is a question for a VMware forum, in any case there’s a dedicated area for Fusion and I’ve suggested to moderators that they move this thread there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jfcutolo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Scott....whatever it takes...this has been just a pain...

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I had trouble upgrading from Windows 10 1909 to Windows 10 2004 on an Ubuntu host. You can see this thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Windows-10-2004-May-2020-Update-VM-upgrade-...

You could try the workaround.

OTOH, what model/year is your MacBook Pro?

After the Windows 11 system requirements were given out, I looked at the official list of supported Intel CPUs Windows 10 20H1, 20H2, pretty much anything Haswell/Crystal Well and earlier is officially unsupported by Microsoft. For the MacBook Pro line 13" inch models, you need 2015 or later, for 15" you need at least 2016. The 16" 2019 model should also be fine.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-20h2-supported...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Moderator note: Moved to VMware Fusion Discussions

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

A couple of notes..
Make sure your VM is on the last virtual hardware.

You can check that, with the VM shut down, not suspended via settings -> compatibility.

Also make sure that your VM has about 30GB of free disk space before you start the upgrade.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jfcutolo
Contributor
Contributor

I checked like you said and believe it is on the last virtual hardware.  It says Fusion 12 version 18.  Also it has more than 30 GB of space from what I can tell....

0 Kudos
jfcutolo
Contributor
Contributor

I have a 15" 2017 model

0 Kudos
mlippold1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had problems coming from 1909 on physical machines as well as my Fusion VMs so I don't think your issue is strictly related to VMWare.

What I ended up doing was using Update Assistant:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I used the "Update Now" method and it worked with no issues.

0 Kudos
jfcutolo
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that per Microsoft and it ran all the way thru and failed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jfcutolo
Contributor
Contributor

One other thing for all....my VM has an Enterprise license from my old company from which I left.  Could that be causing an issue?

0 Kudos
mlippold1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No idea on if it is failing due to the license.

Did you try the "Media creation tool" method lower on the page? 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you left the company, should you continue to use a Windows instance that uses their license?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
jfcutolo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes..last thing I tried

0 Kudos