VMware Communities
hondac90
Contributor
Contributor

Update DNS server from virtual server

Hi,

I have an ubuntu virtual server I use for web development work (LAMP). Until recently it had a static ip address, making dns setting easy to manage. I use DNS enabler to forward domain names to the virtual server. Is there a way to get the DNS server to track the ip address of the virtual server, or for the virtual server to update the DNS server?

Cheers

David

0 Kudos
2 Replies
m_c_crockett-1
Contributor
Contributor

At work I have the DHCP servers configured to dynamically update the DNS zone files whenever an IP address is leased.  Both the forward and reverse zones are updated.  If the DHCP lease is not renewed, the DNS entries in the forward and reverse zones are removed.  The DNS server is configured to only allow dynamic DNS updates from an authorized DHCP server.

As long as the virtual machine is operated in Bridged-mode and the DHCP client on the virtual machine is configured correctly and passes its simple host name in the DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPREQUEST packets, this approach will work.

If you are using a DHCP server running on a typical home gateway, you will need to configure your DHCP client to perform its own updates and configure your local DNS server to accept dynamic DNS updates from arbitrary systems.  The DHCP server will need to be configured to pass back the correct domain name in its DHCPOFFER packets and its responses to a DHCPREQUEST packet.

Obviously, this isn't going to work when operating in NAT or host only modes.  In these modes you might be able to set something as long as you have a DNS server on the host server that is configured to support the address space assigned to the vmget8 network interface.  I haven't tried this to verify the validity of this approach.  At any rate you would need to configure the DHCP client to perform the dynamic DNS updates.

0 Kudos
hondac90
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Crockett,

Thank you for your reply, however I don't fully understand DNS or DHCP.

I have checked my vrtual server and it is using 'bridged' mode networking.

I have checked the DNS app (DNS enabler) I am running on my macbook and it allows for dynamic DNS updates. It asks for a Key (.private and .key) but this seems to relate to the use of DNS agent http://cutedgesystems.com/software/DNSAgentForLion/

Regarding the configuring the DHCP service, I can access this on my home network but not no the road.

Would it still be possible to update the DNS server given this info? Can you point me in the right direction for more information regarding the services and protocols.

Cheers

David

0 Kudos