VMware Communities
gordoboyf
Contributor
Contributor

Unusual problem with Fusion and Windows XP Professional. Help?

I wrote in some weeks back, and although I received a few responses, the problem is not resolved. However, I did discover an unusual pattern that might help someone out there to help me (hopefully). The pattern is this: The first time I open Fusion and Windows XP Professional, the CPU usage is about 50% on the Mac side (with nothing except Fusion and Windows running), and the CPU usage on the Windows virtual side is a steady 100% with nothing of significance showing in the processes box. It remains that way no matter how long I wait. At that point, I can use the Mac programs but the Windows programs run extremely slowly (pretty much hanging up). However, if I shut down Windows and start it right back up, after a couple of minutes, the CPU usage on the Mac side drops to about 15% and on the Windows side it's as low as 4%, except of course it goes up temporarily as I open a new program, but quickly back down to very low usage. Then the Windows programs work fine. Note that I do not close down Fusion in the process, just Windows. Somehow when the problem occurs on the first boot-up, the Windows CPU is maxed out by something that is not showing up in the processes box. I have done all sorts of virus checks (with Symantec anti-virus) and removed anything suspicious through AdAware and SpyBot programs, but still no solution. So, I'm running low on options. If I can't get help with Fusion (which I obviously still hope to do), I will next try Parallels, and as a last resort, return to a PC. I never had anything this frustrating with a PC over a period of many years. But hope springs eternal, and I'm not jumping off the Mac ship yet! Thanks in advance for any help offered.

0 Kudos
0 Replies