VMware Communities
fafatravel
Contributor
Contributor

Unsupported MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)  Apple M1 macOS bigSur 11.1.

I want to test vmware on a new MacBook Now when I try to run VMWare Fusion latest version 

VMware Fusion Professional Version 12.1.0 (17195230) 

Use Mac bigSur 11.1. MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)  Apple M1 

Every time it runs, it will have problems 

Failed to power on '/Users/XXX/Virtual Machines.localized/MS-DOS.vmwarevm/MS-DOS.vmx'

I tested from MS DOS build.)Screen Shot 2563-12-15 at 16.37.21.png

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@fafatravel 

Fusion doesn't work on M1 hardware, a future version is needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Even if it is a future version, it might run Fusion, but it likely won't run VMs such as MS-DOS that depend on an intel processor.

edit: some more details and a link to a relevant thread discussing details.

There has been some mention that M1 support will not be available this year, it will be somewhere next year (2021).

Also note that while you then will be able to run virtual machines on your M1 mac, it will still not run virtual machines that require an intel or amd processor. There has been some talk that intel processor emulation is being investigated by VMware, but if and when that happens is unsure.

Here is another thread on the subject with some more details and discussion:

VMware Fusion 12 running on Apple Silicon

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
EricMartinez
Contributor
Contributor

From what I have read that the new Apple M1 laptops will not run on any VM platforms yet. Right now Parallels is beta testing and they will probably be the first to release. Once they do, I am sure all the others will follow.

Here is a good video on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFI9M-QaOaY

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I'd say that Parallels is earlier than beta, as it's missing some basic VM functions.  Fusion has announced that they're working on it - for ARM guests.  My guess is that we'll see a release in the next month or two (just a guess).

0 Kudos
KarthikeyanM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Any timeline when will VMware Fusion work in M1 chip? I need to run macOS VM in VMWare Fusion12. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@KarthikeyanM Unfortunately no. As a publicly traded company, VMware can not share details about content and release dates of future products. 

The best we've heard from the Fusion product manager in this community is that "they're working on it". 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos