VMware Communities
Electric_Warrio
Contributor
Contributor

Unrecoverable error (vmx) - unexpected signal:10. when using keyboard since update to 1.1.1

I'm using Fusion with WinXP SP2 on a MacBook Pro (OSX 10.4.11). Since I updated to 1.1.1. windows crashes as soon as I try to use the keyboard and the following error message appears:

Unrecoverable error (vmx)

unexpected signal:10.

I have attached a log and the file that the support tool created

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Dick_Rucker
Contributor
Contributor

I've updated to Fusion 1.1.1 and don't have your problem, but I am running OS X 10.5.1. Is there a reason why you haven't upgraded to the latest version of the Mac OS?

Dick

0 Kudos
Electric_Warrio
Contributor
Contributor

two reasons:

1. I can't afford to buy 10.5.1 atm

2. I have software that doesn't work with 10.5.x yet.

0 Kudos
Electric_Warrio
Contributor
Contributor

no ideas? too bad...

0 Kudos
dfp7y2p
Contributor
Contributor

I tried upgrading from 1.1 to 1.1.1 last night and had this same problem. I'm running Leopard on a Intel-based imac. Since I'm past the 30-day support and was trying to avoid the $24 email incident support charge, my only solution was to reinstall version 1.1 -- and that solved the problem.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

FYI I filed a bug; you're not being ignored.

0 Kudos
Electric_Warrio
Contributor
Contributor

that's an idea.. I might switch back to 1.0, though, because sound didn't work for me with 1.1

thank you, etung!

0 Kudos
flyby
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. New machine/Leopard. I dumped 1.1.1 and went back. Might need to try the competition on the next machine coming in.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We haven't been able to reproduce this in-house yet; we need your help to narrow things down. Is anyone who is seeing this bug:

• Using a non-US keyboard layout?

• Using a non-US physical keyboard?

• An admin user?

Edit: Nevermind that, we think we've figured it out - it looks like a race condition if you start typing immediately after giving focus to the guest. The three backtraces we've been able to get about this bug point to that area of code, and if we force the race to be lost (we haven't been able to observe this in the wild) we see the same crash.

So the suggested workaround is to drink less coffee and wait a second between clicking in the guest and typing.

0 Kudos
Electric_Warrio
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I'm using a german keyboard.

0 Kudos
dfp7y2p
Contributor
Contributor

I was using both the wired and wireless iMac US keyboards and got the same error. When the login screen shows up in Vista, I click the mouse in the password line entry field, count to 5, and type, and get the same error.

0 Kudos
flyby
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW my issue is the same, touch the keyboard at the Win password box and the error appears. Wireless kb on a new machine. I rolled back from 1.1.1 to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
purpura
Contributor
Contributor

I just hit this issue upgrading from 1.1 to 1.1.1. I'm running Leopard 10.5.1 on a Intel-based Mac Proc. I am using an external Mac keyboard with and external Dell Monitor.

I have waited for a while to enter my username in the Gnome login screen for RHEL4 and the error pops up. I rolled back to 1.1 and I still have the same issue. I am stuck.

1.1 was working great and I was about to buy it.

I have spent days building RHEL4, RHEL5 and Vista for a demo environment and now it is all broken. If I ssh to the RHEL4 everything seems to be working but as soon as I use the keyboard in the GNOME GUI breaks.

Please help or send step by step rolled back procedure. thx

Help!!!

0 Kudos
purpura
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried using the embedded keyboard in the Mac Pro to discard the extenal keyboard and the issue persists... Smiley Sad

I am attaching my log files.

thx

PS Both of my keyboards are US layout. I am in California

0 Kudos
Electric_Warrio
Contributor
Contributor

just reinstall 1.1. that's what I did as well.

0 Kudos
purpura
Contributor
Contributor

We should be getting a free license for VMware Fusion for all of the trouble...

WMware speak up!! and reward your beta testers! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
flyby
Contributor
Contributor

We just got in another MBP, brand spanking new and Fusion was the first thing that went on it. It asked to install the upgrade during install, which the user did and the program crashed right away. I told him to dump the install and go back to the original install, that worked. Has to be 1.1.1 as this machine was clean out of the box.

0 Kudos
robsoft
Contributor
Contributor

Just to say that I upgraded from v1.0 to v1.1.1 on 2 separate machines tonight and they both had this problem. Everything seemed fine until a key was pressed on the keyboard, then the error report (exactly as described in the OP).

One machine was a 2GB MacBookPro Core 1 Duo (ie, 1st gen MBP), and the other was a 5-day-old iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB. Both were running 10.5.1. The problem happened with different VMs - I'm 99.9% sure it's a problem with v1.1.1.

I uninstalled v1.1.1 and downloaded/installed v1.1 and everything seems fine.

0 Kudos
flyby
Contributor
Contributor

Does this seem to be a dead issue with VM? I just thought about it because I started VM and it notified me of an update, but it was only 1.1.1. I'm new to VM products and while 1.0 seems to be running OK, I'm a little concerned that the company is not responding to a multi-user problem.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We're listening and working on it, but have so far been unable to reproduce the bug internally. We know where it happens, but have no idea how it can get into a state where the crash would occur. The (very contrived) race condition theory doesn't seem likely, because 5 seconds seems like a long time for such a thing to happen.

0 Kudos