VMware Communities
miguelroboso
Contributor
Contributor

Unity with ubuntu

Hi, I am using the trial version of VMWare fusion on a macbook pro (early 2008)

I installed ubuntu 10.10 and it works just fine in single window mode; however, unity doesn't work at all: the window border is not drawn, and the keyboard stops working as input. This behavior continues if I switch back to single window.

Anyone has a solution?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
strangecargo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar issue with Unity; a fresh install of 10.10 simply doesn't show anything at all in Unity mode. I suspect that VMWare Tools hasn't been updated to work with 10.10. 10.04 works fine for me under Unity.

-Allan

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Same problem here, for Ubuntu 10.10-amd64; but for Ubuntu10.10-i386, Unity works out of the box, after installing the VMware Tools.

So it might be a 64-bit issue with the current Tools...

Another maybe Tools-related issue is that Ubuntu sometimes disables the network after resuming the VM from a suspended state (so one has to reboot).

0 Kudos
miguelroboso
Contributor
Contributor

I tried easy install as well, but no luck. I hope they solve before my trial ends, because I am stuck.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Which ISO image are you using for installing - ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso or ubuntu-10.10-desktop-amd64.iso...?

I had success for Unity - both with easy and ordinary install methods - with the first one (32-bit), while with the second one (64-bit) Unity didn't work.

It's a little strange (different Unity behaviors in 32- and 64-bit editions), but that has been my experience with Ubuntu 10.10 and the Tools in Fusion 3.1.1, sofar...

0 Kudos
miguelroboso
Contributor
Contributor

I am using i386

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Strange that it works for me (with i386), and not for you: perhaps, then, there are also some other variables involved (graphics, etc.) - who knows?

Maybe the super-experts here on the forums can eventually give some explanation to this.

Of course, in any case, the best thing would be updated Linux Tools in a reasonable time... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
miguelroboso
Contributor
Contributor

I actually tried twice, but, I have to admit, with the same parameters. Is there a way you can send me the parameters you are using?

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

It could maybe also depend on the computer hardware (mine is a mid-2009 MacBook Pro)...

Anyway, here are my Ubuntu 10.10 VM settings (the most relevant ones):

Sharing: home folder read/write

Applications: menu enabled

Processors and RAM: 1CPU, 512 MB

Monitor: without 3D support

Printers: enabled

AutoProtect: disabled

Network: bridged

Hard disks: SCSI, 20 GB

Sound: connected

USB devices: active

Other devices: 1 device

... Etc.: almost the default settings.

P.S.: If installing manually, the Tools are compiled in the usual way:

Select Install VMware Tools from the Fusion menu, and then, in the Ubuntu Terminal:

cd /tmp

tar zxpf "/media/VMware Tools/VMwareTools-8.4.3-282344.tar.gz"

cd vmware-tools-distrib

sudo ./vmware-install.pl (accepting all the default answers, configuration included).

Edit (2010-10-20): The HD is 20 GB in size, not 40 GB (as previously written); irrelevant in this case, anyway...

0 Kudos
miguelroboso
Contributor
Contributor

almost the same as mine (except sharing and hard disk size)

I am going to wait for a while, and if it doesn't work by the end of the trial, I will try "the other one"

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Hmmm... as for "the other one", probably there the situation is even worse (the Parallels Tools fail to install on Ubuntu 10.10); see also, for example:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=105053

So, on both fronts, we'll just have to wait for updates...

0 Kudos
miguelroboso
Contributor
Contributor

OR switch back to 10.04 LTS Smiley Happy

I don't really know what is new on 10.10 that keeps me from using the

LTS. Is it faster/less resource intensive?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Another maybe Tools-related issue is that Ubuntu sometimes disables the network after resuming the VM from a suspended state (so one has to reboot).

I have this problem with Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 x86 (32-bit) as well. To resolve, I re-run in Ubuntu: sudo /etc/vmware/resume-vm-default and that reconnects the NIC without rebooting.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Everything about Ubuntu 10.10:

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06308

P.S.: In response to your next post: yes, we are of course talking about Fusion's Unity mode, strictly related to the VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Thanks! Smiley Happy

The command

sudo /etc/vmware-tools/resume-vm-default

works very well, indeed.

0 Kudos
miguelroboso
Contributor
Contributor

Just for the sake of completeness, it is clear that I am talking of unity mode in vmware, and not the unity interface of ubuntu. Is it?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Same problem here, for Ubuntu 10.10-amd64; but for Ubuntu10.10-i386, Unity works out of the box, after installing the VMware Tools.

So it might be a 64-bit issue with the current Tools...

Thanks for reporting this (and noting versions which do work), I also see Unity not working with Ubuntu 10.10 x64 and have filed PR 626112 to track it. Like strangecargo (and unlike miguelroboso), I don't see any windows at all when I try to enter Unity.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Yes, the same happens also for me with Ubuntu 10.10 x64: no windows at all in Unity mode.

Another "bug" that I've seen is that clicking on the Home Folder item in the global Fusion Applications menu's (the one in the Mac OS X menu bar) recent items section doesn't work: nothing happens (also in Ubuntu 10.10 x86), both in Unity and windowed mode, and both in English and other languages (I tried Italian) for the Ubuntu interface; of course, instead, it should open a window with the home folder's contents, as if you had clicked on the corresponding item directly in Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Okay, etung grabbed my attention and I had a look at this. Attached is a new version of 64-bit libvmware-user.so which should take care of the "Unity is busted under Ubuntu 10.10" problem (aka PR 626112).

The following disclaimer applies: This isn't from an official build, hasn't received official testing, and isn't verified by VMware's QA organization. In other words, it's completely unsupported, so use at your own risk.

Instructions:

1. Download the bzipped library.

2. Uncompress w/ bunzip2 (bunzip2 libvmware-user.so.bz2).

3. Make a backup copy of your existing libvmware-user.so.

4. Deploy new instance at original location.

5. Restart vmware-user (log out of and back in to your X session, or alternatively, pkill -SIGUSR2 vmware-user).

The default location is /usr/lib/vmware-tools/lib64/libvmware-user.so/libvmware-user.so.

If anyone tries this out, please update the thread to let us know how things turn out.

Thanks!

MD5(libvmware-user.so.bz2)= 3e309c4d828869fcef4eda8153493cf6

SHA1(libvmware-user.so.bz2)= ccf0c600686330031927e3a04138045dfab5219e

Message was edited by: rbeasley. New revision posted. Previous version lacked proper fix.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hopefully etung won't mind vouching for me until then. Smiley Wink

So vouched Smiley Happy

0 Kudos