VMware Communities
looter
Contributor
Contributor

Unity weirdness

Unity is not working as expected. Upgraded from RC1 to 2.0

Some applications do not show up in the dock when running in Unity. Applications in the dock do not have a dot next to them to indicate they are running. Cycling through applications in the VM causes other VM application icons to disappear and reappear from the dock.

Clicking on the dock icon of an open VM application causes the application to re-launch. Clicking on the dock icon of an open application doesn't bring up the open application.

Cycling through applications using ⌘ (command) + tab, icons of open VM applications do not appear.

I am having to work and think way too much to get Fusion to play well. I am thinking about downgrading....

XP Pro SP 2

Mac Pro 10.5.5

Fusion 2.0

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
looter
Contributor
Contributor

Also, the screen is not redrawing properly when using ⌘+' in Unity.

If two XP Pro applications are open in Unity and you ⌘+` to switch applications, the application that should go to the back ground is still present. Clicking on it brings up the application that should be in the foreground.

This is a bummer...

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

Fusion creates "proxy applications" to show the running apps in the Dock, and allow launching them (even when not in Unity). Generally when you're in Unity, you should see the proxy applications for all open Unity windows in the Dock with the "running dot". Note that it's also possible to keep the proxy applications in the Dock for quickly launching the VM applications, even without Unity. In that case they won't show as running.

First of all, could you check the VM Settings, and make sure that the "Show running virtual machine applications in the Dock" option is set to "In Unity" instead of "Never"? Also, please make sure to update VMware Tools in the VM. You can check the Tools version by double-clicking on the VMware icon in the task bar to bring up VMware Tools Properties, and going to the About tab.

Some applications do not show up in the dock when running in Unity. Applications in the dock do not have a dot next to them to indicate they are running. Cycling through applications in the VM causes other VM application icons to disappear and reappear from the dock.

If applications are in the Dock without the dot, it means they are not running, but have been chosen to be kept in the Dock. This may happen if you right-click and choose "Keep in Dock", or just drag an application that is running to a different place in the Dock.

Clicking on the dock icon of an open VM application causes the application to re-launch. Clicking on the dock icon of an open application doesn't bring up the open application.

Clicking a non-running application will run it (as any other Mac app), and will start a new instance of the application in the VM. Does the dot stay after you run it, or does it disappear immediately?

Cycling through applications using ⌘ (command) + tab, icons of open VM applications do not appear.

That would be the case if the proxy applications aren't actually running. Command+Tab switches to active applications (proxy apps) rather than windows (Unity windows).

Could you try the following to check if the proxy applications are working correctly?

1. Change your VM into Single Window mode.

2. Make sure no VM apps are shown as running in the Dock (it shouldn't matter if they are kept in Dock or not, as long as they don't have the dot).

3. Open some applications in the VM.

4. Switch the VM into Unity.

Do all the Unity windows show up correctly? Do they get proxy applications shown running in the Dock, or only for some of them, or none of them?

0 Kudos
looter
Contributor
Contributor

VM Tools version e.x.p. build-11639

Settings>Sharing>Show running virtual machine applications in the Dock: In Unity √

I am going to try uninstalling and reinstalling VM Tools. RUNNING VM applications are not showing up in the Dock in Unity.

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

I'm assuming you mean build 116369 (same as Fusion 2.0). If you upgraded them, it may be a good idea to uninstall, restart and install from scratch just to make sure it's not something left over from the previous build of Tools. Also, you may want to delete the previously published proxy applications from the VM bundle. You have to right-click on the VM in Finder, choose "Show Package Contents", then delete the Applications folder that's in the VM bundle. The proxy applications will be republished automatically.

As far as the Command+Tilde issue, that's a known issue we're hoping to address in a future release.

0 Kudos
looter
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, VM Tools is 116369.

I think there is a problem (bug) where after an auto snapshot is taken the dot disappears from open application dock icons and clicking on the icon of any open VM application launches the VM application again even though it is already running.

This is all while in Unity. Switching out of Unity and back into it seems to restore the dots. This was not the behavior in Fusion 1.x.

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

Yes, the issue with proxy applications quitting after taking a snapshot is known and is documented in the release notes (Application Dock tile disappears in Unity view after a snapshot). The workaround is basically what you describe - exit and re-enter Unity. The issue has been fixed internally, and will be available in the next update to Fusion 2.0.

Aside from that, do the proxy apps for Unity windows show up in the Dock correctly after you reinstalled Tools?

0 Kudos
grangej
Contributor
Contributor

I am running Version 2.0 (116369), and after wiping my OS X machine and reinstalling i can no longer get the dock icons to show up. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the vmware tools, as well as rebooting and anything else that I can think of. I notice when I uncheck the "show dock icons in unity" and then check again it looks like it will try and put an icon in for a moment but then it goes away again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

With the virtual machine and Fusion shut down, try deleting the Applications folder in the .vmwarevm virtual machine bundle (see if you need help). This will cause Fusion to re-create the helper applications the next time you use them.

0 Kudos
looter
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the issue with proxy applications quitting after taking a snapshot is known and is documented in the release notes (Application Dock tile disappears in Unity view after a snapshot). The workaround is basically what you describe - exit and re-enter Unity. The issue has been fixed internally, and will be available in the next update to Fusion 2.0.

When is that update expected?

0 Kudos