VMware Communities
BHuntsman
Contributor
Contributor

Unity view for Mac OS guest?

Does unity only work with Windows, or is it possible to get it working if you have the VMware Tools installed on a 10.6 Server guest?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

IIRC Unity view is not supported with supported Mac OS X Guests regardless whether or not VMware Tools are installed.

0 Kudos
BHuntsman
Contributor
Contributor

Too bad.  Would sure be nice to have this feature added in a future release... Smiley Happy

Seems more likely then Apple adding Rosetta back to Lion!

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Too bad.  Would sure be nice to have this feature added in a future release... Smiley Happy

Yes it is and that is not the only shortcoming of VMware Tools for support Mac OS X Guests.  VMware Tools for supported Mac OS X Guests have always been behind the curve compared to VMware Tools for Windows Guests.

Seems more likely then Apple adding Rosetta back to Lion!

I doubt Apple will add Rosetta to Mac OS X Lion and actually I'm glad to see Manufactures dropping some of the legacy support as to continue to maintain to much legacy support keeps them from creating better faster OSes/Applications with smaller footprints etc.  Some legacy support is reasonable however look at how bloated Windows had become over the years as it has maintained to much legacy support.  I'm fine with having to use virtualization to provide customer support with legacy issues however for personally use I'm willing to replace legacy apps with newer versions or find alternatives that do not require virtualization.   That's not to say I do not want to use virtualization in general just that all the apps I was using strictly for personal use that will not work in Mac OS X Lion I've found suitable replacements for without having to use virtualization.

0 Kudos