VMware Communities
Blahdiblah
Contributor
Contributor

Unity stealing focus/flipping between spaces

The problem of fusion stealing focus in unity mode was first mentioned in the previous version of fusion, and there was talk of a fix being planned, but it never happened, the problem is still here in the new version, and now there is a new, related issue which is driving me crazy (more than the other issues in this version).

I'm using Mountain Lion, latest version, running Win XP in fusion. Using a 15" rMBP.

If I open two Windows windows in two OSX spaces/desktops, vmware will flip back and forth between the desktops at high velocity. The only way to stop it is to try to enter mission control and move one of the windows to the space with the other window in it. Sometimes, even when there aren't two windows open in different spaces, fusion will just decide to flip across to another space for no apparent reason, but it is guaranteed to happen every single time if there are two XP windows open in two different OSX spaces.

I'd be interested to hear if this affects people in other versions of windows too

Please FIX!!!!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Blahdiblah
Contributor
Contributor

Just found this similar thread (a few months on, and still no fix)

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2103813#2103813

0 Kudos
Blahdiblah
Contributor
Contributor

I'm beginning to think I've put up with all these annoying problems that don't get fixed (or often, even acknowledged by vmware)for too long. Have installed the Parallels trial (and so far it has been seamless, much unlike fusion 5).

If nothing gets fixed by vmware by the end of the trial (and based on current form I'm expecting nothing), I'll move to Paralells.

0 Kudos
Blahdiblah
Contributor
Contributor

Well, after trialling parallels for a few days, it's blindingly obvious: fusion is a bug-ridden mess compared to parallels, which has been almost completely flawless in comparison (for XP on a rMBP, anyway).

If support had shown any interest whatsoever in fixing the numerous bugs I and other people have had and had reported since version 4 (focus stealing in unity, flipping rapidly between spaces, black boxes appearing over text, mouse unresponsiveness in MS Excel etc etc), I might have stuck with fusion, but as it is I can't believe I've kept with it this long and have now bought Parallels. I suggest other people struggling like I have do the same (or at least try other options).

Edit: Forgot to mention how incredibly difficult it is to even notify Vmware of problems with their software. Incredibly frustrating and yet another reason they lost this customer.

0 Kudos