VMware Communities
holtsch
Contributor
Contributor

Unity not working properly - can't find configuration file...

Hi there,

my apologies if this has been discussed before, but the forum search gives me

System Error

We're sorry but a serious error has occurred in the system. If you are a system administrator please click "more details" below for more information about this error.

More Details

* Status Code: 500

+ * Exception Type: null+

+ * Error Message:+

+ * Request URI: /search.jspa+

+ * Stack Trace:+

(...)

+ * freemarker.core.InvalidReferenceException: Expression communityResults is undefined on line 226, column 101 in template/global/search.ftl.+

whenever I search for Unity (this has been happening for quite a few days on me now...)

Anyways, my actual problem: I would like to use Unity with a Windows XP installation I created on VMWare Workstation in VMWare Fusion. I do get the window in Mac OS, and I can see it in Exposé, too - but I also get an error message (unfortunately, VMWare is localized to German now, so I have to translate this - can I somehow switch that to English?):

"Das Programm zum Starten der Anwendung konnte ApplicationName nicht starten. Die Konfigurationsdatei /Users/jc/VMWare/VMWare-VMs/WinXP/WinXP.vmx der virtuellen Maschine konnte nicht gefunden werden"

That basically means "The program to start the application could not start ApplicationName. The configuration file /Users/jc/VMWare/VMWare-VMs/WinXP/WinXP.vmx of the virtual machine could not be found."

I should note that /Users/jc/VMWare/VMWare-VMs/WinXP/WinXP.vmx is definitely there. I've tried deleting the Applications-folder in my virtual machine folder. I should say that I have moved from Tiger to Leopard recently, and also moved from VMWare Fusion 1.0 to 1.1. I had Leopard installed on another drive than Tiger (and just copied the configuration etc.), so this may have confused VMWare Fusion a bit. Right now, I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.1 (German).

Aside from the error message, I don't see the application in the dock (I DO see it, but it only shows the error message when I click it), and also, when cycling through the applications (don't know what that's called right now, it's done using Cmd+Tab), I do see VMWare Fusion (and that way, I can get to my Window, as long as I only have one open), but I don't see the application itself. When I minimize the Window to the dock, that does work.

Oh, btw, this happens to all of my VMWare images (I also have some with Windows 2003 Server installed). I do have VMWare Tools installed.

Also, I can start programs from the "Programme" menu item in the VMWare Fusion menu. They only don't appear in the dock, and I can also not start them from the dock when I have moved the application from the applications folder in the VMWare folder to the dock (or start them directly from the applications folder).

Anyone with similar problems, or anyone with a solution to this? I

think the Unity-features is very cool, but I can't really use it right

now.

Merry x-mas regards,

Jashan

Message was edited by: holtsch, added Tags, removed broken link and replaced with (...)

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

To get the Unity feature working you need to install Latest VMware Tools in Virtual Machine

can you Uninstall the VMware Tools and reinstall the Tools in VM and check

0 Kudos
holtsch
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer, but that didn't change anything, except for that I had to activate Windows XP again. I had tried installing VMWare tools over the existing installation ("Repair") before, but that didn't help. Now I de-installed VMWare tools, had to re-activate windows due to that (I think de-installing VMWare tools is probably not a good idea at all), re-installed it... and am still having exactly the same problem as before.

Unity still doesn't work on my machine, at least not as it should work. I'm using VMWare Fusion 1.1 (62573) on a Mac with Mac OS X 10.5.1. My virtual machines are stored in my home-directory which I think shouldn't be a problem. The version of VMWare Tools I have installed is Version 7.6.2, build-62573.

Through Google, I just found someone else who seems to have (or have had) the same problem: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/110033

0 Kudos
holtsch
Contributor
Contributor

Very weird: Suddenly, it's working. I got a second monitor (which is not supported by Fusion - that is not cool Smiley Sad ), installed some Nokia software on Windows XP, and suddenly Unity works as expected. I also removed DirectX support, so maybe that did the change - but I had activated when I was already having the problem. I don't see why it's working now, and why it wasn't before. I just hope that it keeps on working...

0 Kudos
crawdad
Contributor
Contributor

Another issue with unity and expose: I've just created an XP Pro virtual machine, and when I run Expose with Unity, the 'Windows' windows separate as expected, but if one window was covering another, when they separate, the window for the "behind" layer contains the overlapping part of the "front" window, which continues to hide part of the "behind" window, defeating the purpose of Expose. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Mas

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

if one window was covering another, when they separate, the window for the "behind" layer contains the overlapping part of the "front" window, which continues to hide part of the "behind" window

This is a known issue.

0 Kudos